Does it improve the sound of a MM or MI cartridge by playing it through a phono stage?

I've been hearing about these old inexpensive Japanese cartridges getting rave reviews and I was wondering if they sound better if played through a phono stage as MCs do. Of course this would be at the standard 47K ohms load.

I have an Acutex LPM 412STR with the original and replacement stylus and would like to know how it would sound best. It was inexpensive (a long time ago), but might be an interim option if I have to get my regular cartridge serviced. I upgraded it about 9 years ago to a Van den hul One Special and thought the VDH was much better sounding with a Rega P5 played through the phono section of a Plinius 8200MKII integrated amp. Since then, I purchased a Sutherland Insight phono stage that has settings for the VDH (200 ohms) and a 47K ohm load for the Acutex, along with 3 or 4 others.
sokogear
Look for "elliottbnewcombjr"For example, the thread titled "What SUT?...."
You asked, "why does a cartridge have a recommended load impedence from a phono stage and so many phono stages have adjustments for that?"  Because each manufacturer wants his cartridge to perform at its best.  So he selects a range of phono input resistances that ought to work well with his cartridge and publishes that information.  The rule of thumb is that the input resistance of the phono stage should be not less than 10X the internal resistance of the cartridge (which is another published specification that you should be able to find easily).  Most manufacturers do not stipulate one value; they usually will stipulate a minimum value which allows for higher values of input resistance to be used.  The 10-fold rule is not cast in stone.  You can get away with lesser ratios, but usually you don't want to go far below 10.  The reason for this is that as the input resistance of the phono stage approaches the output resistance of the cartridge, more and more energy in the form of signal voltage is lost to ground.  Also, the high frequency response starts to roll off.  This whole issue mostly pertains to MC cartridges which are often run at phono input resistances much less than 47K ohms.  For MM cartridges, you can forget about it and use the standard 47K ohms, to be found in nearly all MM phono stages.
You may want to do some reading here. I think it will help you better formulate a question so others can understand what you are asking. Lots of great info on all things hi fi.

https://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/d.mpl?audio/faq.html
Guys - JPerry, three_easy_payments, pryso:

I'm not sure why the OP's question was so puzzling. He's using the built-in phono stage in his Plinius Integrated and wants to know if he can get better sound with an external phone stage.

I've no experience with the Plinius or the VDH cartridge, but I'd say (1) yes, external phono stages will usually sound better than the built-in ones (2) Generally - though not always -- MC is said to sound better than MM.

The Sutherland should sound great -- haven't you tried it?

G
You can easily find and buy a better phono stage for MM or MC cartridges and the price will tell you nothing.

Everything is easy with MM or MI cartridges, they are fine with almost any phono stage (technically) designed to accommodate an MM cartridge giving 47k Ohm load for them. But you can improve the sound of MM using 100k Ohm instead of 47k Ohm. Manufacturers of MM phono cartridges in the 70s/80s recommended 47k Ohm - 100k Ohm range of loading for MM. People ignoring it and using 47k Ohm now, but there is a big improvement with 100k Ohm for MM and everyone should try it!

So the best MM phono stage is the one wirh RCA plug load restistors to change loading for MM cartridges (not only for MC).

Of course users with soldering skills could simply change internal 47k for 100k (and back) to try. Load resistors inside expensive phono stages are not always the best quality. Some of the best for audio is Vishay Naked Foil resistor from Texas Components. I have replaced stock 47k Ohm resistors with 100k Ohm Vishay and never looked back, huge improvement almost for any MM/MI phono stage i have tried.

Chakster, What you say may be true for you and me, but the OP is in need of some basic understanding before getting into the nuances of a 100K ohm load vs a 47K ohm load for MM cartridges.  Right now he is fine with 47K as standard.  And I must disagree with your statement that external loading plugs are very useful for MM cartridges.  First of all because external loading plugs which in effect parallel a second resistance with whatever is the input resistance of the stage, can only lower the net resistance seen by the cartridge.  Thus, you cannot achieve 100K ohms or any value higher than 47K ohms by paralleling any value of second resistor with the standard 47K ohm load.  True, there are some who like to REDUCE the load resistance below 47K for some very particular cartridges, and this can be done by paralleling, but that is advanced thinking not needed here.  In my opinion, the capacity to add an external load resistor in parallel with the primary resistance is by far more relevant to MC phono stages than MM ones.