Do I need a sub?

Would I benefit from even a small sub?

Energy rc-70s’
dual 6” woofs, bass is there, but would a sub remove the lowest freq, and give the small drivers a break, and sound better?

would it help,? I play loud once in a while, would the low freq removed from the main tower drivers make a better sound, I don’t think I would need much more than a 10 or 12” sub. 

Powered or unpowered?

thoughts?
thanks
128x128arcticdeth
does it matter where a small small sub goes?

Usually. Since you have a variety of options, put the sub where you'll listen, then walk around the room until you hear the best bass. That's where to put your sub! :)
Any speaker with 6” woofer can use a subwoofer . Its whether or not you want more . And by taking the time to soul search and realize more of an audio ambition you have likely made the decision already . So do it. Powered 10” 
powered 12” is more 
powered 15” is quite lovely 
and so forth , you get the idea. 
I added to subs and I'm glad I did.  Rounds out the sound, better sound stage (helped floorstanders to disappear.
You don't need them, you want them!
My main speakers have built in powered subs that will go down to 20 hz and I still have an additional separate servo power sub.and it adds fill and energy to the room. Requires a little work to integrate, but worth it.
Short answer, Yes.
Practical answer, Yes.
WAF answer, maybe.
Like millercarbon, I run a swarm, 2 10s and 1 12. I have a 15 in the garage, large, ugly and unused so far. I use one amp for all 3, utilizing a DBX 223XL crossover set at 40 hz. I plan to add another 12 or 10. The amp is a Denon POA 6600 mono block with 265 watts at 8 ohms.
Utility.
My goal was decent bass at low level listening, without needing to turn the subs up at low volume or turn the subs down at hi volume levels. All sub boxes are sealed or acoustic suspension as we used to say in the early 70’s. To save money, the boxes and speakers are sold/used for car stereo use. All of the above except the Denon cost less than my unused Velodyne 12 dedicated sub.