Do audiophiles hate large subwoofers?

I'm noticing a lot of folks into high end audio prefer smaller subwoofers (If they add one at all). What are the reasons for not going after a 15", 18" or something even larger?

Seems like the quickness issue comes up a lot, but when you think about it on a larger subwoofer the excursion is not as severe so it would be more in control. Couple that with servo technology and it can be plenty quick and tight, no?
bstatmeister
I have two Rythmik F25 subs and I don’t hate them. I use them both for home theater along with a pair of SVS SB13 Ultras and use one for two channel listening to supplement the 6 12" drivers in my Legacy Audio Focus 20/20 speakers. I know it’s not the most "refined" system you’ll ever hear but I get a lot of enjoyment from it.
Post removed 
It isn't the size of the sub, it is the integration.

The higher the -3 dB point, the less dragons you wake in the depths.

It is so amazingly rare and difficult to find a well integrated sub at any size.
@elizabeth

You are not wrong, but a well integrated mega-sub is glorious for music and movies. :)

I've had pant shaking special effects and sublime orchestral music in the same system.

Ivan, there is one sub that is usable up to 300Hz---the Rythmik Audio/GR Research OB/Dipole. You can check it out on the GR and Rythmik websites (though a result of the collaboration between GR’s Danny Richie and Rythmik’s Brian Ding, the sub is more Danny’s than Brian’s baby), as well as the GR AudioCircle Forum. A pair of 12" paper cone woofers mounted in an H-frame, with servo-feedback and dipole-cancellation compensation shelving circuits in the integral plate amp. A very unique sub, the only one of it’s kind!