Direct Drive vs. Idler Drive vs. Belt drive

I'd like to know your thoughts on the strengths and weaknesses of each drive system. I can see that direct drive is more in vogue over the last few years but is it superior to the other drive systems? I've had first-hand experiences with two out of the three drive systems but looking to learn more.
scar972
Mike, you brought up an interesting point...better bearings. IME, this is actually what matters more than the drive type. I think this attribute is one of the most overlooked aspects of turntable design, and yet I think it is one of the most important factors to great SQ!
I replaced the bearing in my 401 idler and the improvement was transformative. So much so, that anyone with an original is not hearing what the table is capable of.
Is the Technics SP10 enough for me to experience many of the qualities direct drive has to offer?

Mike
How are all your new turntables comparing to your reel to reel? I'm on a similar journey with reel to reel as I am with vinyl. 

noromance
link to the bearing you're using would be much appreciated.
At the risk of disagreeing with those who know more,
- agree with the late legend Tom Fletcher, who thought that powerful motors generated powerful vibration hence audible distortion;
- agree with the air bearing crowd who think that all conventional bearings cause vibration in the platter, which is audible;
- agree with the massive platter crowd who think that moment of inertia is the best defence against vibration whatever the source.

My own DIY all-air bearing TT is capable of demonstrating that inaudible noise emanating from the plastic sleeve bearings of its precision 2W motor, has audible effects on the music. Those effects are similar in character to digital, although obviously much reduced. I note that during the launch of the SP-10R, I was allowed to inspect their motor - and I could HEAR bearing noise when turning the spindle by hand. Obviously that matters.

My DIY TT mounts a modified Trans-Fi linear tracker and a higher end Koetsu. Air bearing is the larger New Way thrust bushing running at 63psi.