Direct Drive vs. Idler Drive vs. Belt drive

I'd like to know your thoughts on the strengths and weaknesses of each drive system. I can see that direct drive is more in vogue over the last few years but is it superior to the other drive systems? I've had first-hand experiences with two out of the three drive systems but looking to learn more.
128x128scar972

Showing 5 responses by scar972

atmasphere, thank you!
Do each drive system have a certain sonic character of its own, I know it’s often said that idler has more drive, bass, etc. Does DD have a sonic character? What is your ideal platter pad material?

There are new people to the forum every day that can/may offer new insight, so I think it’s okay to rehash old topics every once in a while, it keeps the forum going.
Thank you all for your links, explanations, and experiences. 
It seems that some of you have already traveled the journey I'm starting on. I've owned belt driven turntables for many years, and over a year ago I added a Garrard 401 idler drive. Last month I added another idler drive, a Garrard 301.
In my system, my belt-drive turntable is more balanced and at this time if I were to own just one turntable it would probably be a belt drive. My idlers are excellent and I really don't have any issues with noises and rumble that are commonly attributed to idlers. I do feel that my Garrards are better geared towards jazz, blues, vocals, and small ensembles, with this type of music it really shines. With classical and fast music that benefits from an analytical presentation, it doesn't sound quite as good as my belt drive. Perhaps my opinion will change after more work is put into the Garrards, only time will tell.
My curiosity now is how a direct-drive sound, will it sound more like my belt drive or more like my idlers?
Is the Technics SP10 enough for me to experience many of the qualities direct drive has to offer?

Mike
How are all your new turntables comparing to your reel to reel? I'm on a similar journey with reel to reel as I am with vinyl. 

noromance
link to the bearing you're using would be much appreciated.
I'm really glad to see so much information and ideas being exchanged here.
The point of my post is to get a general understanding of what each drive type might sound like or what people thought it sounds like, so it's good to hear opinions from many different people. I won't be picking just one turntable as I do enjoy having many options. At some point, I will be adding a DD turntable, it should be fun to experience all three drive types in my own system.
I do agree that there are so many different variables in a vinyl setup that contributes to the final sound from the stand it sits on all the way up to the record weight, so deciphering what is contributing to what is almost impossible.