Dickie Betts died earlier today at 80 years of age

I just read where Forest Richard Betts passed away earlier today. Although the article didn’t indicate the cause of death, however at 80 it may have just been natural causes. As we grow older, we are watching the building blocks of the music we have grown up with, fade away. Thankfully we have their recordings and will never really lose them. But Dickie’s contributions will always be treasures and it seems an appropriate time to give a listen to Blue Sky. I wanted to attach the link but it wouldn’t take for some reason. So long to the Midnight Rider.

128x128theo

Dylan is a Betts fan. One chapter in the recent book Pledging My Time: Conversations With Bob Dylan Band Members by Ray Padgett is a Betts interview.

Here's an Otis Gibbs video from a coupla months back:

I recall an interview in which he said "my sh*t is so simple, anyone could play it". Such humility from a guy who was able to convincingly share guitar duties with Skydog! No small feat!

I’ve always regarded his solo on Stormy Monday as a masterful example of how to build a solo. He starts off sweet and soulful with lots of space and lovely phrasing and increases the density and intensity of his lines to reach a screaming peak. I’ve always treasured his playing from the Live Fillmore shows as much as Duane’s. And listen to his slide playing on Melissa. Talk about making a guitar cry. I can’t but think he was pouring out his grief over Duane’s passing.

I would disagree that Derek lacks chops compared to Dickie. Derek has phenomenal chops. What I hear in Betts’ playing is a less overtly technical approach that is extremely melodic and emotionally direct. This is my perception. Others may have a different take but we can all agree on one thing-- he was one of those players with an easily identifiable signature style. This alone makes him very special.

Living in Atlanta all my life The Allman Brothers were a big part of my youth. Saw the original Band many times in 1970-71. Usually for free at Piedmont Park.

We are indeed growing older and the great music of our youth should be treasured. 

RIP Dickey Betts

When I got out of college in KY in 1981 I rode my my motorcycle to Daytona Bike Week in FL and although i75 was a strait shot down the middle of GA , I rode as much of trip as I could down Hwy 41.

@jbuhl , we were almost on the same raod at almost the same time! I was stationed at SAFB (just east of St. Louis) and my buddy was getting married on Valentines Day of 1981 in Tampa and since he designated me to be his best man I rode my bike through Kentucky for the event. It was unseasonably nice all the way up to a few days before his wedding and then . . . oh man, it got cold! After riding all day, that night I broke the face shield on my helmet somewhere in Tn, and although I had planned on riding all night, that icy blast in my face was too much and I stopped for the night. It started warming way up the next day going through Georgia, and I was actually removing layers of clothing. I think it must have been about a week after I got back to Illinois, a bunch of buddies of mine rode down to Daytona for Bike Week, but they caught pretty decent weather.

I always loved the phrase " I was born on the backseat of greyhound bus rolling down hwy 41".

I hear you. I love that song.