Denon DL-103 retipped with micro ridge stylus on boron cantilever & denuded body

As a card-carrying Denon DL-103 fan, I keep returning to this classic LOMC cartridge. After trying different cartridges, no other cart was capable of giving me that unique fiery sound as the good old DL-103.

However, my friend Robert (owner of the https://www.thebrokenrecord.net/ site) recommended I get one of my DL-103 retipped with a more modern stylus. I was very skeptical, because I've tried in the past to purchase retipped DL-103 cartridge (the original conical stylus replaced with the nude elliptical), and it only made the cart sound much worse.

But because I trust Robert's advice, I decided to take the plunge and following Robert's suggestion, I contacted Andy Kim of the needle clinic (http://www.phonocartridgeretipping.com/).

Andy was very prompt, kind, and approachable. He offered me some options and I went with the top of the line mod: micro ridge stylus on boron cantilever & denuded body.

Turnaround time was swift, and pretty soon I had the rejuvenated, retipped and denuded DL-103 in my hands. Couldn't wait to install it and do the listening tests.

The first thing I've noticed upon spinning the first record using the micro ridge stylus was that the mods to the cart did not in any way affect the familiar tonal characteristics of the trusty old DL-103 (previous mods with the nude elliptical did affect the overall character of sound).

Secondly, the sound quality notably improved! There are now so many new details, and the delivery seems more effortless. Any traces of sibilance (which are present with my standard DL-103 carts) have disappeared.

I'm not sure if the dramatic improvements are due to a better stylus, or to a better cantilever, or to the denuded body, or to all three factors combined, but I'd say this mod had propelled my lowly DL-103 into the stratosphere. Such small overall investment for such spectacular improvements!

Andy's retipping services are highly recommended.

crazybookman

Showing 1 response by ozzy62

Denuded is a funny word. Taken at face value it would seem that now it's not nude at all.......