Denon AVR 2808 or Arcam AVR 300

I need to make a decision between these two. Primary use is Music but also for HDTV in family room.

Cost-wise, may get a brand new Denon for about the same as a used Arcam.
Any thoughts?
dogmatix

Showing 2 responses by mcfavre4

The Arcam is one of the best sounding all in one receivers I have ever heard. I think it's build and clarity are top notch. I upgraded to the AVR 350 and its more open but still similar in sound. With the Denon I think you pay for more of the latest additions which may take away some of the strengths of the potential sound quality.
As stated, the AVR 300 can't be touched by any Denon or Onkyo for sound, newer or not and certainly not by the 2808 which is not a high end sounding unit in 2ch at all. Features are fun but once you set up you still listen to a receiver. HDMI is not a HD device for audio yet so it's only the video switching it will need to carry. The Arcam is more like separates if open soundstaging is a priority. It has one of the best processors on the market today. Haven't heard of any widespread issues (owned the 300 now the 350) but I'd look into it. The Arcam distributor would know any detail as they are the only link to the service centers.