Definitive Technology BP-8020 vs the Monitor Audio RS6. Which is "better"?

Does anyone care to offer an opinion of the Definitive Technology BP-8020 speaker?

I have an opportunity (that may not last long) to buy a pair of these in nearly new condition. I'm considering replacing my Monitor Audio RS6 speakers with the BP-8020, but I firmly believe the RS6 (discontinued) represents one of the best budget floor standing speakers around.

Is the Definitive Technology BP-8020 "better" than the Monitor Audio RS6?
cga

Showing 1 response by mrussel1

I have had a pair of 8020 ST for several years now and they are a very good, universal speaker.  They are not super precise two channel speaker.  The detail is a bit muddled especially if you are listening to vinyl.  Considering the Emotiva you are using, I'd probably like something a little better for two channel.  I use my 8020's in the family room for home theater purposes.  They have a small footprint, nice finish and don't need a sub.  All of that is nice.  My 'listening' speakers are B&W 683 S2 and when I put those in, they were definitely an upgrade to the Defs.  

Douglas is right that you need to keep them away from the wall and they have peculiar off-axis tendencies.  If you are walking around, they can be boomy and then you walk 10 feet another way and you can't hear the bass.  When sitting, they are nice.  They are VERY efficient.  Easy to get them loud and easy on an amp.  They sound pretty good cranked.

I've had no complaints and I can't compare them to your Monitors, but they don't compare to my B&W in fidelity.  Not sure how much you are thinking of paying, but Def T is selling them on closeout for 299 a piece.  That's a really nice deal.  The whole super tower series is slashed.