DAC’s

Hello, curious on everyone’s thoughts. I’m still building my system. I came across a really good deal on a Meitner MA3 dac. It’s from an authorized dealer and they offered to sell me one NIB for 7k. I have read and read about dacs and I am getting tired. Haha. I really like the Denafrips Terminator 2, Holo and the lumin T3 being the cheapest of them all. Once I factor in a streamer I am already close or over the 7k. Also I don’t need a dac for anything other then just streaming. Thank you 

shtr74sims

Showing 1 response by mahler123

I detect a sense of exhaustion from the OP.  This is supposed to be fun.

My 2 cents is keep the DAC and streamer separate.  The DAC is the larger determinant of the sound, but the streamer can make or break the experience.

A great sounding streamer that has a poor software controlling package, or that doesn’t connect well, can make you frustrated and miserable.  Keeping DAC and streamer separate allows you to change one or the other independently.  There are already a couple of comments in this thread that the streamer end of the Meitner may be subpar.  That would scare me off.

I think that in general DACs get better as you go up the financial ladder but the rest of the system matters as well.  Have you been able to demo anything in your own system