CSNY Live 1974

In the never ending pursuit of new tunes, I was pleased to read about a 4 cd/dvd box set scheduled for release in July from CSNY. It captures 40 unreleased songs from their 1974 tour- 2 electric discs and 1 acoustic. Graham Nash produced and said that it took him four years to get everyone to agree on the songs and to meet Neil's demanding sound quality standards. Not to mention that it was early enough in their careers that they could all really sing.
maxnewid

Showing 1 response by maxnewid

We all want to remember iconic artists at their peak performing ability. The important point to me is that they created the body of original work in the first place. I am a huge Bryan Ferry fan and he turns 70 next year. He can't sing as well as he used to, but I will go see him every chance I get, because he is a consummate entertainer. So you might have to change arrangements a little bit because you can't hit the high notes anymore (or at least all the time)- big deal. Sometimes I like the new arrangements better than the original versions because, guess what, I am getting a little older too. A couple of years ago, I saw Robert Plant on the Band of Joy tour. The most memorable songs were from the Zeppelin catalogue. We all know what Plant could do as a front man for one of the biggest rock and roll bands on the planet. I found the arrangement of "Gallow's Pole" with Patty Griffin on background vocals and Buddy Miller playing guitar to be excellent and Plant seemed to be having a really good time as well. It must get old to be expected to sing the same songs every night to standards established 40 years ago. I think that we are lucky to still have CSNY around today and hopefully the box set will be a glimpse into the past using improved modern recording techniques.