Critical listening and altered states

Ok, this is not a question about relaxing, but about listening to evaluate how the system (or a piece of gear is sounding).

What, in your experience, are the pluses and minuses of altering your state of mind for listening? This can include anything you've used to affect your everyday state of mind, from coffee, beer, scotch, tobacco, to much stronger — and psychoactive, dissociative — additives.

What do you gain by altering your consciousness in terms of what you notice, attend to, linger on, etc?
What causes more details to emerge?
What allows you to stick with a thread or, alternately, make new connections?

Or perhaps you like to keep all those things *out* of your listening; if that's you, please say a bit about why.

128x128hilde45
I find my enjoyment of music, the emotional content of the music, the power, subtlety and beauty of the music, is considerably enhanced by the occasional application of a little grandpa weed (low TCH, high CBD).
Am I listening more critically or more accurately? Who cares? The point is to create a more emotional reaction to the music in that moment.
@mikelavigne 

I will buy the CD and rip it.  I had some friends with differing systems play the same track on Qobuz and Tidal. Same popping result.  The distortion shut down my amp! It was at moderate listening levels. When she reaches her strongest and highest notes the fluttering starts! 
Mike Lavigne, thanks for your thoughtful response. This is what makes audio so much fun.  Music lovers like us, and lucky enough to have a decent playback  system, seek out this knowledge from those who have been there, done that.  Great topic.  Personally, I don’t “enjoy “ critical listening. It’s just one of those things, skills,  we need for evaluation. Some folks have the golden ears and some don’t, it seems.  So all your suggestions are indeed, helpful!
 I love my system, room…and I really enjoy having my Audiofoo friends over for a long evening of good tunes, refreshments and whatever enhances the experience. FYI, last night I played The Pusher, by Steppenwolf, as a warning to all my crazy friends.  
Cannabis and music have gone together for me since I was a teenager, and I just turned 70. That's for either listening at home or going to a gig.... Used to enjoy music with acid and 'shrooms, but it's been 3 or 4 decades since I indulged in those! 
It's interesting how different people take the question in opposite directions. It's an interesting question, not because it questions the use of mind altering substances, but because it opens the door to questioning the mind itself. What's the difference between the music and your mind? Can they be separated? I hope these are not debatable questions.

My condolences to anyone who would use the term "pothead" in a thread like this.