Copying LPs to CDs

I have a nice collection of vinyl LPs that I want to copy to CDs using the CD-R on my computer. Is there any software out there that can take an analog audio sugnal and digitize it for copying to a CD-R. It would also be helpful if this software had a tick-and-pop filter to get rid of scratches and maybe some equalization. Thanks
bourque

Showing 2 responses by hf1982

I agree with Tommy_in_Sylmar, why don't you buy a Little Philips CDR880? It's cheap and it would give you the bang for the buck. We're talking about non-professional archive of LP's right? Using a PC (be it with NT or any other MS product) will not achieve the level of quality you (probably) are expecting. I have a HP8100 CD Writer with Adaptec software: it's fantastic to do an occasional backup copy to listen to in the car, but that's about it. If you are serious about archiving then you have to go through professional equipment (listen to Ramstl, he's right on every word he says, including wet LP playing which sound good but is not very practical. I use it for critical listening with my Ortofon MC3000 Mk2). Finally I suspect you may be tempted by the idea of archiving all your LP's and may not realize that you're going to spend huge bucks on CDR's an realize later on that it may have been a mistake. Remember 2 things: 1- LP playback is still the best on a good turntable (nothing compares to it, except maybe the SACD-I'm waiting to listen to it) 2- If you carry on with this project then make sure you use "for Music only" CDR's like the TDK CD-R XG for audio. So much said, good luck!!! PS: Home PC's are NOT Hi-Fi equiped, be it with Sound blaster or anything else (let alone Windows based software). Cheers
I agree with Tommy_in_Sylmar, why don't you buy a Little Philips CDR880? It's cheap and it would give you the bang for the buck. We're talking about non-professional archive of LP's right? Using a PC (be it with NT or any other MS product) will not achieve the level of quality you (probably) are expecting. I have a HP8100 CD Writer with Adaptec software: it's fantastic to do an occasional backup copy to listen to in the car, but that's about it. If you are serious about archiving then you have to go through professional equipment (listen to Ramstl, he's right on every word he says, including wet LP playing which sound good but is not very practical. I use it for critical listening with my Ortofon MC3000 Mk2). Finally I suspect you may be tempted by the idea of archiving all your LP's and may not realize that you're going to spend huge bucks on CDR's an realize later on that it may have been a mistake. Remember 2 things: 1- LP playback is still the best on a good turntable (nothing compares to it, except maybe the SACD-I'm waiting to listen to it) 2- If you carry on with this project then make sure you use "for Music only" CDR's like the TDK CD-R XG for audio. So much said, good luck!!! PS: Home PC's are NOT Hi-Fi equiped, be it with Sound blaster or anything else (let alone Windows based software). Cheers