Confused as to where to go next...looking for warmth

I hope this is the right place for this posting.  I don't ever post, but do tons of reading and "window shopping."  I have gotten myself into a little bit of analysis paralysis.  I hope that you guys can help clear up the muddy waters for me!

When listening to music, I am using a Bluesound Node 2i, an upgrade over the Apple TV that I was using.  I was using Tidal for both, and now testing a Roon core installed on an Apple computer.
My processor/receiver is an Arcam FMJ AVR 400, but I use it with an external Liberty Audio B2B-100 power amp (200wpc@4ohms), driving an older pair of Totem Forest speakers.  I also have a Totem Model 1 signature center for watching tv.  

I want to improve the 2 channel sound of the system.  My impression is that the Forests and Liberty are very revealing and clean sounding.  I don't have the audiophile vocabulary, but I will try.  I think the system is lacking something, it sounds dark, maybe on the clinical side.  I want the music to better come alive and add some warmth, without sacrificing detail and punch.  Hopefully that makes sense.

The Schiit Freya+ has my attention and I have been looking at DACs.  The Freya may add the warmth that I am looking for, and I can run it in home theater bypass for watching movies/TV.  My DAC research has confounded me, however...

The option I would probably go with, if I didn't decider to tech out to you guys, is to get the Freya+ and Gungnir DAC.  That seems like a matched system, eliminates the HT processor from 2 channel listening, and I would think would be a massive improvement.

The DAC confusion started when I started looking at all of the different options out there.  Topping D90, Tubadour, MHDT Orchid, etc.  So much that I started to doubt the Freya even...

I hope that provides enough detail for what I am trying to accomplish.  My budget can be described as towards the best bang for the buck..trying not to spend more than $2000 +/-, hopefully less than that.  Open to used.  Thanks in advance for your input! 

Andy
Dallas, TX 

andy727
andy

seeing your earlier response below -- the ’fix the room’ input you have rec'd seems pretty key

softening the hard surfaces (rugs, curtains, fabric couches/cushions...and of course, audiophile treatments) will definitely increase warmth and also focus

think that is more important than other tweaks or equipment swaps
ghosthouse, That is an issue with our furniture.  We have a very long low console that dictates the speakers be 9' apart.  I could put them in front of the console, but then they would really be in the middle of the room.  Maybe I need to put the 2 channel system somewhere else in the house..
Another factor is that we are probably building a new house next year, so doing anything too crazy to this one is out of the question for now..  The new house will have acoustics in mind when we design it.
Hello again...Domestic harmony takes priority over the audio kind.  For experimentation purposes though, can you move them out temporarily?  I'd start as little as 5 feet apart inside wall to inside wall.  If you don't hear something significantly better there, try gradually moving them apart.  When you hit "the spot" the change for better in SQ should jump out at you.  Even if you can't leave them there long term, you'll know what they can do when optimally placed.  Meat on the bones and a real "palpability" to sound is definitely something you should be getting from the Forests.