Confused as to where to go next...looking for warmth

I hope this is the right place for this posting.  I don't ever post, but do tons of reading and "window shopping."  I have gotten myself into a little bit of analysis paralysis.  I hope that you guys can help clear up the muddy waters for me!

When listening to music, I am using a Bluesound Node 2i, an upgrade over the Apple TV that I was using.  I was using Tidal for both, and now testing a Roon core installed on an Apple computer.
My processor/receiver is an Arcam FMJ AVR 400, but I use it with an external Liberty Audio B2B-100 power amp (200wpc@4ohms), driving an older pair of Totem Forest speakers.  I also have a Totem Model 1 signature center for watching tv.  

I want to improve the 2 channel sound of the system.  My impression is that the Forests and Liberty are very revealing and clean sounding.  I don't have the audiophile vocabulary, but I will try.  I think the system is lacking something, it sounds dark, maybe on the clinical side.  I want the music to better come alive and add some warmth, without sacrificing detail and punch.  Hopefully that makes sense.

The Schiit Freya+ has my attention and I have been looking at DACs.  The Freya may add the warmth that I am looking for, and I can run it in home theater bypass for watching movies/TV.  My DAC research has confounded me, however...

The option I would probably go with, if I didn't decider to tech out to you guys, is to get the Freya+ and Gungnir DAC.  That seems like a matched system, eliminates the HT processor from 2 channel listening, and I would think would be a massive improvement.

The DAC confusion started when I started looking at all of the different options out there.  Topping D90, Tubadour, MHDT Orchid, etc.  So much that I started to doubt the Freya even...

I hope that provides enough detail for what I am trying to accomplish.  My budget can be described as towards the best bang for the buck..trying not to spend more than $2000 +/-, hopefully less than that.  Open to used.  Thanks in advance for your input! 

Andy
Dallas, TX 

andy727

Showing 7 responses by andy727

So I just connected the Node directly to the B2B..immediately the music sounds bigger, though some tracks sound hollow.  Is it possible that Qobuz sounds better through Roon than BluOs?  Thats the definite impression I have rn.  Fun thing to try and seals the point to get the AVR out of the system.
ghosthouse, That is an issue with our furniture.  We have a very long low console that dictates the speakers be 9' apart.  I could put them in front of the console, but then they would really be in the middle of the room.  Maybe I need to put the 2 channel system somewhere else in the house..
Thank you, millercarbon and pastorbob.  

I am using Totem speaker cables and Transparent Audio interconnects. 

Maybe cold would be a better term than dark.  The sound is very clear, but it is just lacking something..maybe the presence you mention.

Do you have an issue with the Liberty amp that I am using, or is it more that an integrated would be a more simple setup?

I will take a look at the springs thread and the wires you recommend.
Another factor is that we are probably building a new house next year, so doing anything too crazy to this one is out of the question for now..  The new house will have acoustics in mind when we design it.
Thanks everyone for the advice.  On of the reasons I was looking at the Freya was to get the AVR out of the loop, but sounds like overwhelmingly that getting it out of the system is critical.  

@ghosthouse  You've given me alot to think about, thank you...going to check on those cables, and maybe play with elevating the speakers.  I have some granite blocks that I can try.  

I've played with placement, it does make a huge difference..but my wife doesn't like the speaker blocking the path into the living room, so they get pushed back and forth alot.    

@noromance All of my equipment is on wood - floors, furniture.  Wood cutting boards, springs...seems funny, but easy things to try. 

@jjss49 , @jmphotography  I signed up for Qobuz trial, will give that shot.  Will look into those dacs, jjss.

@soix "The technical term is oomph" - YES!  lol.  The amp does stay in high bias.  Good to hear the continued support for the Freya.

@decooney , @chayro Good idea to see what is available locally.

@motokokusanagi I will try running the Node directly to the amp this morning...good idea I never thought of.

Lots to play with this morning.  Thanks again.  
I pulled the speakers out in front of the console to get them to 5.5' apart..this reveled a much more pronounced soundstage.  I can probably tweak them a bit more, but this was an immediate improvement.  Coupled with going from the Node direct to the B2B was a huge improvement.

I know the Node's DAC is a limitation, so now on to a new DAC, cables, and line stage.  I found a Gungnir at a good price, so I am tempted to grab it.

@millercarbon, Great information and insight.  that is an impressive system!  I got intrigued by the Tekton speakers when everyone was reviewing them not too long ago.  To your point, I have a 2 channel system in my office.  Musical Fidelity M1SDAC and two M1pwr amps as mono blocks powering Totem Model 1's.  I never do this, but watched a movie through an Apple TV running into the 2ch system the other day.  (It usually runs CNBC all day in silence.)  I didn't miss having surround at all. In some ways, this little system sounds better than my big one.  Now that I am addressing the main system, hopefully not for long..