Confused about Krell FPB 300 400 200 Amplifiers

I have auditioned a Krell FPB-300 and an FPB-200. There was a large difference between these two amplifiers. I am in the market for a new Krell amp, but I can't decide between the FPB-300cx and the FPB-400cx. I understand there will be a large difference between these two amplifiers. However, I would be satisfied if the FPB-300cx performed as well as the FPB-300. So, I have two basic questions:

1) Is the FPB-300cx comperable to the FPB-300?

2) How much benefit is there to monoblocks.

Any and all input will be appreciated

Thanks,
jjmali
jjmali
Very nice input, Rob.

It would be great if you can share with us some experience with Krell EVO amplifiers

Tnx
Krell continually improved the FPB series over time and the part number evolved along with the improvements to the basic design. There are basically 3 stereo amps and 3 Mono's as follows:
Stereo - FPB200,FPB200C,FPB300CX (Transformer 1700VA)
Stereo - FPB300, FPB300C, FPB400CX (Trans 3000VA)
Stereo - FPB600, FPB600C, FPB700CX (Trans 2X3000VA)
Mono - FPB250M,FPB250MC,FPB350MCX (Transformer 1700VA each)
Mono - FPB350M, FPB350MC, FPB450MCX(Trans 3000VA Each)
Mono - FPB650M, FPB650MC, FPB750MCX (Trans 2X3000VA Each)

All the FPB amps were known to put out far more than their given rating, for Example the FPB350M would easily put out over 470 watts stock into 8 ohms. The "C" amps added a few driver improvements and the CAST connection (Input Board) in place of the single ended connection. The C amps had a noticeably improved mid-range presentation. The "X" amps were a complete redesign of the driver board with added capacitors and further improved drivers for a sizable increase in bandwidth, Sustained Bias improvements, Higher "rated" output closer to it's actual output. The X amps had tighter and faster bass, smoother more liquid mid-range and an obvious extension in the treble with increased clarity and imaging, the treble was more extended but more natural and effortless. The "X" series was also more dynamic. I currently have 1 FPB200C, 1 FPB400CX and 2 FPB750MCX amps. I modify these in several ways, the design is terrific but now days there are some higher quality better sounding parts available. I can make these amps sound better than the originals not to say anything negative about the original sound but mine are much smoother, more dynamic and far more detailed, the most amazing part is how neutral and natural they have become, they are so balanced sounding now. The treble is even more extended but sweeter and the mid-range is very natural sounding, the bass is stronger and more extended too, but more effortless. The bass initial attack is a little stronger but you notice more how it extends naturally past that initial attack. My FPB200C sounds much more effortless, detailed, it just does not do anything to call attention to itself, it's smooth and graceful no matter what is going on where the original could get flustered at times and lost focus. My FPB200C sounds more like a FPB450MCX but more articulate and light on it's feet, it has a top to bottom competence that is just amazing.
I use the Apogee Diva Ultimate as my reference speaker from Rich Murray. I think Rich's speakers are the best on the planet or the best I have ever heard if you have the room for them.
With the larger amps you are getting what you pay for, more of everything, drivers, caps, transistors and so on. The circuit boards are pretty much the same mono or stereo but the Transformer size is DOUBLED for the mono set-up, plus the increased separation from completely separate supplies and you do hear this easily.

Keep in mind people on here compare amps that are different ages with different states of health. For FPB amps the wall power is critical, 220V is ideal with a 20-30 amp circuit. I run a Torus 100 transformer with individual dedicated 20amp circuits for each amp on 120V(Each circuit can handle 40 amps Short term). The detachable power cords are a common weakness of the earlier amps, the cable manufacturers are the ones that want detachable cords, the simple direct (attached) stock cord is the best I have heard. I hope some of this info is helpful to you, good luck.

Rob
The new Mcx 450 mono block series is a better Krell moving away from the old Krell sound and adding better mids and highs.

Happy Listening.
If your other components and speakers are revealing enough, Monoblocks will give you much better sound than a multi-channel amp.
It would be helpful if you posted your entire system so we can give you better advice, help you decide whether monoblocks would be over-kill in your system or not, whether you could use the extra 100 watts that the 400 would provide, etc.
Hi,

I use to have fpb 200c (twice) and fpb 250c. A few days ago I got the fpb 400cx. The 200c was cold and dark, the bass was thick and full. The 200 lacked the extrim treble, I had the fill that it look at me with "shark eyes".
The 250c was warmer with a very small tilt from the midrange to the mid-treble. The bass was thiner and quicker compare to the 200.
Martin Colloms from the magazine HFN compare the fpb 300c with the 400cx. He rated The 300 at around 35 points, the 300c at around 42 and the 400cx has lifted the score up to 65. Compare to others amp's (CJ Premier 140 rated 36 points), it's a tremendous achievement.

Tomer
Dual power supplies will give you greater separation of the signal and ensure that you have no "bleed-over". They will also allow you to plug into two separate AC circuits if you have them in your room (just have to be careful about creating a ground loop). Finally, the output of two power supplies will likely be greater than if the designer had to use just one larger one due to size/weight and manufacturing issues (harder to manufacture a precision 3000VA transformer than two 1500VA ones). Probably some other benefits also (electrical field density, "speed" of smaller torroids, etc.).

Julian
Just out of curiosity, what good are separate power supplies going to do for me (except for another piece to look at and a little bit more money:)?

Thanks,
jjmali
I know the FPB300cx is based on the old FPB200c frame. The FPB300 is the same frame as the 400cx and can be upgraded as such. The "x" upgrade increases bandwidth and power and supposedly is more musical across the range. Mono blocks equate to separate power supplies.