Confused about Krell FPB 300 400 200 Amplifiers

I have auditioned a Krell FPB-300 and an FPB-200. There was a large difference between these two amplifiers. I am in the market for a new Krell amp, but I can't decide between the FPB-300cx and the FPB-400cx. I understand there will be a large difference between these two amplifiers. However, I would be satisfied if the FPB-300cx performed as well as the FPB-300. So, I have two basic questions:

1) Is the FPB-300cx comperable to the FPB-300?

2) How much benefit is there to monoblocks.

Any and all input will be appreciated

Thanks,
jjmali
jjmali
I know the FPB300cx is based on the old FPB200c frame. The FPB300 is the same frame as the 400cx and can be upgraded as such. The "x" upgrade increases bandwidth and power and supposedly is more musical across the range. Mono blocks equate to separate power supplies.
Just out of curiosity, what good are separate power supplies going to do for me (except for another piece to look at and a little bit more money:)?

Thanks,
jjmali
Dual power supplies will give you greater separation of the signal and ensure that you have no "bleed-over". They will also allow you to plug into two separate AC circuits if you have them in your room (just have to be careful about creating a ground loop). Finally, the output of two power supplies will likely be greater than if the designer had to use just one larger one due to size/weight and manufacturing issues (harder to manufacture a precision 3000VA transformer than two 1500VA ones). Probably some other benefits also (electrical field density, "speed" of smaller torroids, etc.).

Julian
If your other components and speakers are revealing enough, Monoblocks will give you much better sound than a multi-channel amp.
It would be helpful if you posted your entire system so we can give you better advice, help you decide whether monoblocks would be over-kill in your system or not, whether you could use the extra 100 watts that the 400 would provide, etc.
Hi,

I use to have fpb 200c (twice) and fpb 250c. A few days ago I got the fpb 400cx. The 200c was cold and dark, the bass was thick and full. The 200 lacked the extrim treble, I had the fill that it look at me with "shark eyes".
The 250c was warmer with a very small tilt from the midrange to the mid-treble. The bass was thiner and quicker compare to the 200.
Martin Colloms from the magazine HFN compare the fpb 300c with the 400cx. He rated The 300 at around 35 points, the 300c at around 42 and the 400cx has lifted the score up to 65. Compare to others amp's (CJ Premier 140 rated 36 points), it's a tremendous achievement.

Tomer