Conditioner for Cary MB500 Monoblocks

Hi all.

Tomorrow I will be installing Cary's MB500 monoblocks into my system. They will be running into the 4 ohm Aerial 9 speaker, so the amps will be putting out 1000 watts per side.

I have a Shunyata Hydra 6, and I'm not sure I want to run the amps through it. I'm concerned about current limiting, suppressing the soundstage...all the usual concerns about power conditioning. I will run the rest of the gear through the Hydra (cd, pre, etc), BUT....

I'm curious about people's experience with big monos and high end conditioners. The ones that have caught my attention are the Furman (ref 20 -- will the 15 be enough?) and the Exact Power (not sure which one). I'm open to hearing about other brands that have worked for you. APS anyone?

It's kind of expensive to experiment, so I'd be grateful for any actual experience you may have with high current high power amps and your conditioner.

Thanks in advance,

Rich (in Portland OR)
rbirke

Showing 2 responses by sirspeedy

Rich,first off,if you call The Cable Company(800 fatwyre)they offer free home auditions,of stocked units.Exact Power IS in their lending library,I believe.
That being said,I run my entire system(except sub,which is on it's own dedicated line)from the Exact Power EP-15a/Ultra Pure combo.I have dual chassis Rowland 8t/modified amp,btw.
I have experience with the PS Audio Ultimate outlets(pretty good),Power Wedge(not so hot),Bybee unit(OK),and the PS Audio P-500(quite good,but two different units had major reliability problems,and I wouldn't touch another PS Audio unit,based on my particular experience...only my opinion,btw).
My friend has his big SS amps run off of the SUPERB(we've compared to all except the Exact Power units)Balanced Power 2.5 Signature.This is a BIG performer,and can handle a load of current.Fabulous unit!He runs a P-300(the best unit PS Audio ever made,IMO,for low power equip)on his front end stuff.
OK,let me be a bit more specific....even though I have a dedicated audio room,all dedicated lines and live in the burbs,with very good power grid(usually),I have come to the conclusion that anyone NOT running a high resolution system,on "something" like the Balanced Power units,or the Exact Power units are DEFINITELY not hearing their set-ups at their best!!The A/C coming into our homes is worse than the New England Patriots,in the fourth qtr of a Super Bowl!-:)...Had to get that in...Heh,Heh,Heh!!Giants fan,obviously!!!

The differences are THAT dramatic!!!

I like the total line regeneration factor offered by the Exact Power EP-15,with the "balanced power"/ultra purifying capability that is offered when mating "it" with the Exact Power Ultra Pure unit.The performance enhancements made to my high res system is amazing!!!YET,I only draw about 500 watts(read on EP-15a meter)from my entire rig.....The EP-15a can give much more than that,but I don't know how much your total system draws....Trust me(or not)these are amazing units,which I could not live without,they allow for SO much more harmonic texture in music!!
As to the Balanced Power units(the company)...since my friend already had the P-300 on his "low draw" front end stuff(a very effective unit there),we felt he would be better off(financially)by going to the Balanced Power 2.5 Signature,and just running the amp from it.It isolates,but does NOT regenerate,but it is AMAZINGLY effective!!
He has big Rowland amps(not class D),and just got the Magico Minis.A very fine set-up,that reveals any error presented.
The Balanced Power unit seems to be as effective as my AMAZING (but not cheap)Exact Power EP-15a/Ultra Pure Combo,in his set-up,when used in conjunction with the P-300,on front end stuff.
BTW,both my Exact Power combo AND my friend's Balanced Power units run COLD(almost)!!A BIG deal to us!!!The P-300 runs fairly warm,and I no longer trust "that" company,with regards to reliability,based on my experience with TWO P-500's which ran VERY hot,even at idle.The new PS unit looks nice,but I no longer trust the reliability of it(also,it's made in China,unlike the Exact Power,and Balanced Power USA models).
Advice(which I did,btw)go on as many websites as you can,and learn as much as you can.Then you can make an educated decision.What could be bad?
Good luck.