Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano
To get back to Mahler. I have to admit to out and out disliking him at first. Much like the great Decca classical producer John Culshaw who worked with the greatest conductors on some of the most famous recordings who refused to produce records of his music because listening to it made him ill. I am not making this up.

Through time my feelings have changed and though still not one of my favorite composers may I recommend one of the all time great recordings if excellent mono is acceptable? Dimitri Mitropoulos and Minneapolis doing the Titan on Masterworks Heritage. If you have any interest in classical symphonic music at all this must be heard. Just maybe not on an audiophile system if you have a second one more forgiving of older mono recordings.
Just listening to three symphonies (35,36,38) by the miracle that is Mozart.
Whereas, arguably, Haydn may be the better symphonist, and unarguably, Mozart’s piano concertos are more inspired, his symphonies are gems of creation, perhaps with a greater divine spark than are Haydn’s, although not as clever.
How do you feel?
I love Mozart because to my ear after any of his works it seems every note could not be anything or anywhere else .A musical law of gravity
so to speak .

I have always thought Haydn was fully his equal but because the seams show at times he is seen as a great composer but not quite up to Mozart .
In fact in his religious music , notably " The Creation ", the more pious Haydn
IMO outshines Mozart .

To me they are just the opposite side of one of God’s coins .Their true friendship is witness .
The six Hayden Quartets are amazing. Mozart really had him down.

Technically, Hayden was a master. Mozart, no slouch either, had the gift of melody(-think Eine Kleine Nachtmusik). 
I always wonder why Haydn couldn't write piano concertos as good as Mozart? His horn concerto is unbelievable.

B

OK, so the natural "progression" (backwards) from Mahler is to Bruckner.  Over the years, here's what I've acquired based on a whole variety of recommendations.

#0: Chailly, RSO Berlin

#1: Sawallisch, Bayerisches Staatsorchester

#2: Solti, Chicago SO

#3 [first version]: Inbal, Radio-Sinfonie-Orchester Frankfurt

#4: Jochum, Berlin PO

#5: Haitink, Vienna PO

#6: Klemperer, New Philharmonia O

#7: Inbal, R-S-0 F

#8: Chailly, RSO Berlin; Haitink, Concertgebouw; Ballot, Oberosterreichisches Jugendsinfornieorchester

#9: Walter, Columbia SO; Giulini, Vienna PO; [completed version] Schaller, Philharmonie Festiva

Number of CDs clearly reflects preferences among the ten.

I've heard Celibidache in concert, and am surprised to find I don't have any recordings of his.  What the "best" interpretation of any of these that I'm missing?