Classe Seventy amp found in alley

Sitting in my downtown alley was this Classe Seventy amp. Other than a little bit dirty and having some sort of felt glued all over the top, its condition is good. And after hooking my Dynaco preamp up to it with some average speakers, it works fine. I'm still trying to figure out if I stumbled onto an abandoned, stolen item or maybe it was found in a move-out pile and the scrounger couldn't sell or trade it so he dumped it where I found it. It's kind of heavy. So did I find something desirable?
drkjr442

Showing 4 responses by drkjr442

A little bit of follow-up. My conscience got the better of me so I sent an email to an officer that I have met a few times. Not that we're friends. I explained the situation and asked him how a situation like this is handled. He replied that I should call 911 and report what I found, otherwise I risk being arrested! Not wanting the amp simply taken away, I replied that to 99.9% of the world, this would look like some common discarded piece of electronics. Since I'm smart enough to know that it's not common, I intend to keep it unless it has actually been reported stolen. Then I would gladly turn it over. His next reply asked me if I had found it on XXX street. I replied that it was the alley parallel to that street. I haven't heard back from him. We'll see. I've done nothing wrong. I just know that if it was mine, I'd want it back. And if someone threw it out, I'll take it.
Happy conclusion.....Here's what happened. I went down to City Hall to see if I could talk to a detective involved with burglaries. The disagreeable woman at the front desk gave me the "call 911 and they'll send out an officer." So I did. I was very lucky to get a guy that came into my workshop and went "Wow" when he saw all my old radios and woodworking equipment. He's restoring an old log house and bank barn out in the country. Plus he has his grandparents' old "upright radio." So, he looks at the amp and read the Seventy model as Serendipity....LOL. I write down the make and model number for him and he's going to go back to the station and see if it is on any burglary reports and call me back. Normally they would just take the item and if nothing came up, it would be destroyed! But for me, he would hate to see that happen. So, a half hour later he calls me and says that there was nothing, so as far as he's concerned, it's trash and it's mine.
I know that once a year the Drug Task Force has a big auction for confiscated cars and other items considered ill gotten goods. Surely this could be used to sell other items like lost-and-found stuff. But it's probably just a case of time and money. Things would need to be stored, etc. And most used stereo equipment has little value, of course. Guns (forbidden subject?) are routinely destroyed. Always seems odd that when grandma turns over grandpa's old shotgun (possibly with antique value) they crush it....LOL.