Center Channel Dialogue

I am looking for suggestions to increase the comprehension of vocals for my center channel. I realize many movies and programs are produced such that understanding the dialogue can be a challenge. 

My home theater is mostly Martin Logan: Summit X front, reQuest surround, LX 16 rear surround, SVS and Velodyne subs, and a Stage center. The amp for the Summits is a Pass XA30, all others use an Earthquake Cinenova Grande amp with over 300 watts/channel.

My issue is that I have to cup my hands over my ears to understand the dialogue. I have adjusted the Marantz 8801 pre/pro to maximize the output. I also use one channel of an equalizer to further increase output, and have also adjusted the different frequencies trying to improve dialogue.

I've angled and raised the Stage center the best I could. 

My question is, should I look at different center speakers? I like having all electrostats, and wonder if a substitute non-electrostat would match? Would a horn center like Klipsch make sense? 

Recently I considered a DBX expander, but don't know if that would help or hurt.

BTW, it's tiring holding my hands over my ears to understand the dialogue:)

I appreciate any suggestions.

hillbilly559

Center Channel Speaker should be horizontal, located just below the monitor screen. Where is yours?

Stage Center, you mean Legacy? Sensitivity 102 db?

https://www.legacyaudio.es/productos/pro-audio/altavoces/center-stage/

1st, how are you balancing the relative volume of each speaker to the others?

2nd, mixing brands, you can balance the volume, but the frequency response of different brands/model lines can result in a mismatch, i.e. front l and r reproduce frequencies with human voice range more prominently than the center channel does.

3rd, surround speakers may be too loud. you generally should not be aware of them but it should be obvious if you turn them off.

4th, your hearing. have you had an audiologist test your hearing? It could be you have a dip or two in the voice range, and a tone adjustment/equalizer/specifically tuned hearing aid can solve your situation. If so, you will be darn glad you found out and dealt with it, my close friend certainly is.

I had the same issue when I had a Def Tech center. I replaced it with a KEF center and the improvement in dialogue was substantial.  I think their concentric design is the reason. 

My experience, with a lot of measurements, is that where you put the center matters a lot. If you stuff it in a shelf it’s going to be very bassy, but there's a lot of other things to look into.  Lets start with basics.

1.  Speaker

Make sure it's operating correctly.  Turn off any auto-EQ/room correction and listen to it up close.  Does it sound good with your head 1' away?  You can also try hooking it up temporarily as a main speaker, as a diagnostic.

2.  Room and placement

With an ESL center you also have the issue of that rear reflection. My suggestion is to focus on eliminating rear reflections first, try to raise it as close to the bottom of your TV, and then take a surgical scalpel to excess bass resonances.

Use a comforter/blanket behind the speaker to experiment and see if that’s your problem.

Same problem with old Infinity Video one, wife had trouble with dialog. Just upgrade to a Kilpsh KCF C-5. Wife loves it. I am not a big fan of horns but in this case the horn tweeter works great for vocals. And the C-5 must be pretty damn efficient as I had to turn down the dialog lift on my Yamaha AVR.