Celestion Model 100 enquiry

I purchased a pair of Celestion Model 100s based on audition, and cannot find much information on them. These are not the Ditton 100s. To the best of my knowledge based on Internet research these are 20 year old speakers. I'm getting a bit of buyer's remorse after installing them in my home and want to know more about them before I kick them to the curb. Any information that can be provided, good or bad, would be appreciated. I'm considering replacing them with a pair of Infinity intermezzo 2.6 powered speakers and don't know if I'm jumping from the frying pan into the fire. I have been unable to subscribe to bluebook which doesn't help either. Using Cambridge Audio Azur 740c, Pro-ject 6.1 w/Sumiko cartridge, Parasound P3, and PS Audio HCA2. Source material is very broad, Brubeck, Bach, AC/DC.
rg500g

Showing 3 responses by roxy54

Don't do it! The Celestion 100s were a great little speaker that shared a lot in common with the sl series that preceded them and they were a little more attractive as well. Comparing them to powered Intermezzos of any size is really missing the point. These were classic British sealed box monitors that were more about finesse and music than brute force or ultimate extension.
What is important is that the drivers are in good condition, because they are not replaceable any longer, and the unusual and sophisticated mid/bass driver is unique in design. The aluminum domes are hopefully in good condition, although small dents, even if unsightly, don't affect their performance. Look for any splits in the rubber surrounds of the bass drivers.
I have been through the whole sl series, and still own SL6s as well as SL6si and a pair of Kingstons. I don't use them every day, but they are great speakers, and I will always keep them all. As small sealed boxes , they do have dynamic limitations, but put them on decent stands, even low mass stands with four bits of blu tac in the corners and give them plenty of power. They like to be about 2 beet from the back wall, and toed in so that you can still see some of the inside wall (moderately) This model wasn't made for long, and if in good condition is a lucky find. Give them a chance, and you will be rewarded.
I want to state again that these small speakers really like a strong amp to control them. There is a big difference between an amp that can play them, and one that can control them and really allow them to do their thing.
I also owned the sl700 speakers. I could never get them to work for me, but the final super version, the Kingston, I still have, and it is the best of the bunch.
The bass mid driver that Celestion developed for the sl series and their derivatives had a really magic way with voices. For my personal taste, they are just too dynamically constricted for full time use in a main system, but they are too good to let go of. I have a great affection for the way they play music.