cd burning speed

i've previously read here that to make the best sounding copy, you should burn at 1-2x only. although i definitely hear a difference between different blank cd-rs (cheapies don't sound as good), i don't hear a difference between copies burned at 1x or 16x. who's right? thanks for your response.
kb54
In general the lower the speed, the better the copy. I would guess that some error correction scheme in in place for the copies. When speeds go higher, the error correction get's call up more, so the data is less uniformly written. This is just a guess.

I notice that my slow work computer (933mhz P3 w/5400rpm ide) must copy at 2x in order to make a good copy. My fast home computer (athlon 1.8 w/twin 15K scsi drives) however reliably makes good copies at 24x and 40x.

Some tips:
1. On your main board you will have two ide connectors. Usually you will have one Y cable coming out of one of them. The destination ends of the Y go to cd rom and cd writer. You should go and buy another IDE Connector cable, connect this to the second mainboard ide controller, and to either the cd or the cdr. The effect being that they are on separate ide channels and won't have to share a single cable. www.outpost.com sells them for 2-3 bucks. This is important.

2. Disconnect any and all unnecessary virus alert, email, or fax monitor software. These things will periodically use up a little cpu for their timer based services. The virus stuff expecially.

3. Don't use your computer while it is copying.

4. Buy high quality cdr's. I use TDK's. I have had consistently poor performance from 'house brand' cdr's. The cheap cdr's work ok for low speed (8-12x copying).

5. (extreme) Get a very fast hard disk for your system, some extra memory, and a fast processor. This will cause it to have fewer 'pauses' while the processor is servicing other programs.
Check out a few online reviews for data CD-Rs; I assume that the quality of data CDs a particular writer will produce is closely correlated with the quality of audio CDs (this assumption may be wrong). Some actually perform _better_ at higher write speeds than they do at lower speeds. But, in general, lower write speeds are better. For many CD burners, you can find their performance with different media at different speeds. For example, check out some of the reviews at cdfreaks.com.

Auda ibn Jad
There have been several posts about this topic in the past; and it might be worthwhile to look them up. I own a commercial media duplication company and we've not only copied thousands of CDs and CD-ROMs, but even more DVDs. Generally speaking, slower burn speeds equal cleaner results. I duplicate most of my personal discs at 2X speed on a dual well Marantz professional CD recorder, and have never had a disc that didn't sound great. As for media types, we have used a lot of Maxell, Mitsui, and Sony CD-Rs with good results. Though we mostly use commercial grade discs; we've consumer stuff in a pich with good results.
As discussed above, don't waste your money on "cheapie" CD-Rs. Many are rejects from major disc makers that didn't pass quality control at the factory. Good luck!