Cary 303 or Meridian 508.24?

I am looking to replace my current cd player and wanted to know if anybody has had experience/opinion about the Cary 303 and the Meridian 508.24. Also, does the HDCD capability of the Cary significantly improve the sound to the level that it is better than what the Meridian, which doesn't have HDCD, could deliver? Thanks.
hughes88

Showing 1 response by rackon

I compared both these players and would have been happy with either - they're both great. You can't go wrong with either of 'em.

I was definitely NOT a fan of Cary CD players until an audiobuddy insisted I listen to the 303, which is a wonderful player in its price range: smooth, gorgeous mid-range, plenty of detail without etch, very dynamic, and much deeper/tighter bass than previous Cary CDPs I'd heard. This player is heavily discounted by a couple dealers, and can be found new for under 2K. I don't own any other Cary gear - just the 303 - but I do use a tubed pre (Rogue, with ss amps and Alon speakers).

The Merdidian 508.24 is discontinued, but can be found used occassionally here at A-gon. It's also a very musical performer with a beautiful, transparent clarity, and it's similar in quality to, but a slightly different flavor than the Cary. The 303 is probably a little more forgiving, if that matters to you.

I enjoy the HDCD decoding on my 303 on well recorded discs - Cary implemented this chip very well. However, HDCDs vary in quality, just like all software, and HDCD is by no means available on the majority of discs in my collection. It's a nice feature to have, but not, methinks, a major factor in determing one's next digital front end.

Actually, if I had the bucks, I would be tempted by the Cary 306/200, which is truly exceptional...but I don't have 3300-3700K at the moment for a new CDp.

The Electrocompaniet, the Audio Aero and the Audio Mecca are all well regarded, musical players and I would love to hear them, if only there was a dealer in my town...some day.

Good luck - enjoy the hunt.