Cartridge ISOLATION; What Say You?

another good read, it does go against my 'instinct' of a rock solid cartridge/arm connection. (non-removable headshell) 

Who thinks what?
Who tried what?

https://www.tnt-audio.com/accessories/isolator_e.html

btw, has anyone tried a Len Gregory cartridge (with or without the isolator)?

another comment in the article: reviewer mentioned a layer of isolation under the tonearm base (he tried blu-tac). Also against my 'instinct'.
elliottbnewcombjr

Showing 15 responses by tomic601

for those seeking unified field theory of a Tower of Power and reference grade recording, seek out the excellent Sheffield Labs Thelma Houston release. For the discerning get both the D2D and Treasury ( made from RtR realtime copy )…..

I believe a robust comparison, level matched is instrumental in educating the ear/brain…

fun
the footpath upward if not well worn is at least visible, especially if one were to be introspective and look backwards…. Yes Ralph, i agree. D2D. Such is your and other greats history; Direct Grace, M and K Real Time, Sheffield Labs, Chasing the Dragon, Water Lilly…

Carry on !
string quartet in the mastering room….what an idea….

w both high speed tape and a really good ADC ( Wadia 17 ), imagine that….

We all craft our own references…
Oh the days… I used to cath live Jazz, no amplifiers at a fantastic bar in Charleston - High Cotton

… oh the days, and nights

In one eye and out the other, love it.

a steady diet of unamplified acoustic instruments and voices in a reverberant space is the reference. Otherwise chasing your tail.

iF amplified Tower of Power ( a great band over these many many years BTW ), is your reference then I suggest Meyer Sound  gear… 
@lewm yes, sadly the steady diet has diminished big time… 

I am a fan of New Yorker ;-) My lovely has the digital subscription… so i benefit….and The Economist in the same breath.

@boxer12 Hi Tim - The wizardry of Glen Croft in the UK - Croft RIAA - RS rare single chassis model chock ablock full of Nos tubes from Andy of Vintage Tube Services in Michigan…near you.

I can send it to you, it gets a winter nap here….
@tomwh thx. I do rebel against Van Morrison; No Guru, No Method, No Teacher. I do have a sensei. Every now and then i snatch the pebble….

i don’t think there is anything wrong with goal seeking around pleasure - my belief is the SET camp is hopelessly colored yet incredibly addictive audio tone color crack…. 

I think Ralph makes a very excellent, nuanced and hyper esoteric and yes ultimately expensive point. A steady diet of acoustic live music recorded w minimal devices in the chain in natural reverberant space while witnessing the event becomes the reference and a tool for discernment…

as close as many will get and Of note is Water Lilly, Vandersteen ( 2 discs ), any number of the D2D labels, Opus3, Wilson Audiophile, and Lederman : Direct Grace. 

This allows discernment and the ability to  hear where in the chain it all goes to @#$&*&$#@.

hard to do right ? Maybe..

I do plan a Cellist at next listening party. I have a Zoom6 mini recorder….. what will we hear ? i also have a cold cathode preamp on the way w variable bias ( thd ), so same listening panel can vote on the distortion flavor profile they like….

fun

Does anyone here, revealing my age remember Iversons work w strain gage ? ( electron kinetics / Eagle )
yes, carbon fiber violins have incredible attack, not so much sustain.

The crux of what we are talking about is small sample size leading to outsize conclusions…

Yes, I own a Herron and currently in a bit of a nadir, just 5 other phono stages….One of them in MM mode absolutely destroys my much loved Herron. The Herron is superior in MC, cue those essential FET.

Reality; is tge Herron a Lamm, ARC or VAC at $10-$15k ? No. I would be curious to see what Keith could do w a $10k out the door budget. He is skilled engineer with ears and it seems based on my conversations w him, emotionally mature, ego in check. 

How do i know that in my systems anyway that the Lamm, and ARC are superior ? by having the social and economic capital aka relationships w dealers…

Nothing like living with a well broken in reference grade phono for a week…

The Zesto falls squarely in my radar…

open mind, open ears, think one thing is only truth…. ha.
Ralph, i would love to come cut a record with you !
My wife and I sponsor vinyl release now and then for a local artist, so except for cutting, i am no stranger to the process. I took a run at buying Berdan’s Skully….but…..

and oddly, ex locus rant ignores the inconvenient truth of the video ( yes the referenced Lederman ) that Moving Coil designs including….wait for it the Koetsu Rosewood suffer from massive reflected energy.

The gushing for strain gauge has already started….Of course, i have heard both..they have virtues…and somehow….yet leave a lot on the table….

I think a much more interesting and salient point about the Peter video, and one as a customer, i plan to ask is; If you have built a moving iron cartridge with 56 db of channel separation, why not change the Hyperion spec ?

Btw Peter, holder or coholder of 11 IBM patents, has my highest esteem and respect. Hopefully his health is recovered fully!

As the Eagles sang “ every form of refuge ( design ) has it’s price.