Caps for tweeters under $300

I acquired a pair of LSA 2's in a trade, had the ribbon tweeter floorstander version in the past and always liked LSA sound. These aren't my main speakers so experimenting is not such a big concern just can't blow to much $ on them. They came with stock standard soft dome and ring radiator from seller. I'm using ring radiator which is known to be a little tipped up. I had to decrease resistor value to balance everything, now sounds better than soft dome.  Then I tried to save money and put  4.7 and 8.2 Sonicap, there very detailed but don't find them musical or a good match with ring radiator. I did put a path resistor on tweeters and mills everywhere else, and a solid copper rewire. I would like to make them very smooth relaxed but sill detailed. Will be used with el84 amp. I'm new to speaker modding so could use any guidance or help. The one's I'm looking at are mundorf supreme around $170 or Clarity cap at $270. I could add a 1. Mundorf S/G bypass caps to Mundorf for$100 and still be at Clarity cap price point. I'm just not sure about bypass concept for good or bad. I'm open to any suggestions, thanks for any help.

paulcreed

Showing 1 response by beetlemania

FWIW, I recently built new XOs for my Thiels using Clarity CSA. A big step forward in terms of resolution and transparency. Still, I wanted just a bit more warmth. I considered different bypasses such as Audyn or Jupiter. But I first replaced the hookup wire and binding posts with Cardas products. That snapped everything into focus, for lack of a better description. Even added a bit of warmth and the speakers now sound dead neutral. I considered CMR, especially on the coax feeds, but that would have been major coin for the required capacitance (14, 28, and 43 uF) and I’d probably have to go outboard for size reasons. And it’s hard to imagine how much better those would be compared to what I’m now hearing.

BTW, nice choice on the Mills. And Path would be my choice if not for the $$$.