Capacitors for BAT VK-60

I'm planning to change the Jensen caps.
I don't really like how they(Jensens) sound so I've been thinking about Multicaps, Auricaps or the red Dynamicaps.
Any suggestion?
Has anyone did a change like this and how was the sound after that?
Thanks
damaradona

Showing 2 responses by 2100

If you feel that V-caps TFTF are too high an investment, check out the Solen FEP TFTFs.

http://www.solen.ca/caps/fet.htm
Do note that these are the green ones, using same TFTF Tin Foil Teflon Film construction. They are also about 30% smaller than the V-caps with same values.

The blue ones are not the same in construction, not TFTF.
http://www.solen.ca/caps/fep.htm
Do note that they are rated at 450Vdc. The 1000Vdc ones are very expensive.

In another amp, we have done up quite a couple of tube amps with the V-caps, used as coupling caps. My own amp is done up with Solens, and 2 others as of now. My comment is that there is very little difference between them, maybe the V-cap is just that wee little bit more detailed and transparent. Both caps transform the stock amp dramatically, it is quite an improvement from the Mundorf Supremes that I changed out (already modded state). We also scoped the tube amp outputs at 1kHz and 10kHz, it looks very good and very much better than other the usual audiophile caps. I don't think you will notice any difference between V-cap/Solen TFTF unless your system is absolutely top-notch.

The Solens will be a very viable choice if your amp has quite a number of high uF caps to change out.

Yes I know Solen has a bad rep for its much lower cost Fastcaps, but this TFTF type from Solen simply bears no resemblance to its lower-range siblings.
Hello Sherod, my source for the caps is in Singapore. Anyway, Solen does not manufacture more than 0.82uF for the 450Vdc versions. If you need 1uF and above, I guess you can try paralleling them (when you parallel caps, the capacitance add up, eg 0.5 + 0.5 = 1.0). They are non-polarised. Before you do anything, do give SCR or Solen an email.

Given their lower cost, just 2 or 4 Solen FEPs should be pretty manageable. Good luck! :)