Can we finally put Reel to Reel out of its misery? Put it to rest people.

The format is dying and too expensive to repair properly. Heads wear out so easy and many out there are all worn.
High quality technicians are either retired or long gone. Its such an inconvenient format that can be equalled by nakamichi easily in tape decks.
Retire it please put them in museums. 
vinny55
"Revox is/has building/built a new R2R in 2017..."
This is puzzling, but not that much. If such thing had actually been produced, ReVox somehow forgot to mention it on their website. Not in the news from 2016 or 2017, not in the history of their tape machines.

Internet has many pictures of 2017 ReVox tape recorder. All of them on some enthusiast websites or YouTube channels. Nothing solid, though. No review of a machine that would be expected to be eagerly awaited. No real pictures. Nothing.

Well, something...

http://www.tapeheads.net/showthread.php?t=60354

Sad news, ReVox has not been producing tape decks for many years now. Not in 2017. It has not contributed to this revival yet.
All of that makes Ballfinger's claim a reality and not just a marketing hype.

BALLFINGER, Leading Manufacturer of Open Reel Tape Recorders

In the race of one.
So, is this a bad time for me to reveal my plans to market a vacuum tube based 8 track machine with dubbing from AM radio and optional 12Vdc power supply?
No its the perfect time spatialking!  

...but with your name here you really should give reel to reel a try.
I didn't know some were still using cassettes… Lol! I thought they were all gone to the junkyard, where they belong. Apparently not! :D