C 2400 with P ?? ,what is better E 460 E E 550 ??

can someone help me on this,the sellers are all telling me different things, so i downt no anymore what to do,
is it better to have a pre amp and rear amp, ore 1 integrated amp
i have now a C 2400+ P450 i think it is time to change the P450 for something betters ore a integrated one
my speakers are Dynaudio S3.4 with kimber kable 12 tc.
xlr kable also kimber

nick1
nick1

Showing 1 response by nvp

Hi Nick,

I hope my answer does not come too late.

Your preamplifier, i.e. C-2400, is top notch and unless you would go for the top- of-the-line Accuphase preamplifier (i.e. C-3800) there is not reason to change it (IMO). The C-2400/2410 and C-2800/2810 are all very similar in performance when you listen to them (dealers say otherwise of course...). It is my experience that the older models sound more warmer/fuller than the newer ones which sound more open, a bit more detailed and maybe a bit faster than the older models. Which one one would like it is really a matter of taste.

My advise to you would be to get one of the top power amp from the same generation as your C-2400, e.g. A-60 or P-7000. You will pay for them about as much as you would pay for a new E-460 if not less, and such a combination will mop the floor not only with the current generation of Accuphase integrated but also with the next three generations.

I would say that even an A-45 power amp (45 class A watts into 4 ohms, 90W into 4 ohms) would be enough for your Dyns. But this depends on how loud you listen to music. About 6 months ago my E-550 integrated (30 class A watts into 8 ohms, 60W into 4 ohms) embarrassed a Mcintosh 6600 integrated 6600 (which on paper was much more powerful 200 watts or so) when driving a pair of Dynaudio C2 (I have compared the two integrated at the same time in the same room). The dealer could not believe that a 60 watts (in 4 ohms) amp can control the woofers of the Dyns that much better than a 200 watts amp. Also, about 9 months ago I was to an Accuphase show and the C-2810 and A-45 combination drove the B&W diamond 800 and 802 models to insane levels. The sound of this last combination was much better than what I have at home. Forget the integrated amplifiers!

Good luck and keep us posted!
Paul