Boston Acoustics A400's Anyone Remember?

Hi all,
I had a pair of Boston Acoustics A400's a long time ago and loved the mid's and high end sound from them. I thought they were weak in the low end and could have used another woofer. I am just getting back into audio and I see Boston Acoutics has just that now. The VS336 with the added woofer. I am considering purchasing the VS336 but I wanted to know if anyone had any other suggestions for speakers that sounded like the old A400's? Only better.
I liked the Boston Acoutics sound but I am keeping an open mind in purchasing. I see there are TONS of options out there. Budget minded of course.

Thanks
sundriednm

Showing 1 response by berend

During the past 2 months I rekindled the flame of enjoying true hi-fi. I had my Boston A400's refoamed (mids and woofers) for ZAR2300.They took a week or so to settle before they produced transparent and effortless sound, and they now sound fantastic. I just plugged in my Rotel RCD965BX and ran a lens cleaner a few times. My NAD3150 had all sorts of itches (it was last in operation about 15 years ago!)First I cleaned it out thoroughly with compressed air. It dropped the left channel every now and again (very annoying!) and the volume/balance pot which sounded scratchy was treated with spray on switch cleaner. The selector switches also needed the same treatment a few times before they stopped acting up. It stopped dropping the left channel when I switched from SPEAKER A to SPEAKER B setup which makes me believe that on the SPEAKER A OUT some soldering must have cracked or something. The amp now sounds excellent. I did some research on room acoustics and spent about ZAR3000 to treat the room. I bought a batch (10 panels) of semi-stiff glass fibre panels (64kg/cubic m), mounted them on softboard, covered them with hessian and placed them as bass traps and absorption panels. I treated first reflection points, 4 corners, soundstage and backwall. The room I use is almost square about 4x4)which produced horrible sound (especially boomy bass)before the treatment.The treatment made a huge difference. The room is still lively enough, bass is tight, mids are clear and the image is transparent. I am one happy dude!