Bluesound Node2 with outboard DAC

I love the Node2 and was wondering if anyone uses it with an outboard dac for improved sonics. If I added a 2 or 3k dac would the Node2 limit it's performance or would I be better off with a streamer/dac at around 3.5k used? Thanks.

joeyfed55

mofojo1

Don't want to hijack this thread but...

I replaced Node 2i with optical Rendu package with linear power supply and FMC bundle.  It is superb.  I play only Tidal and control it using mConnect ($5.00) connected to the opticalrendu.  I could not find the definitive explanation but I got it to work with no problems.  I connect to my Pontus DAC using a USB cable.

The on board DAC is so/so at best. MHDT DAC's with tube output give a lot of bang for the buck plus multiple inputs. 

Go outboard or go home!!!

Been here...Done all this! First streamer was Andover Songbird. I was totally blown away by the whole experience. I bought a Schiit Mode3+ not knowing that the Songbird actually degrades the bit count when using the optical or digital out.....But strange as it seems, it sounded better. I then moved the Songbird to my offioce and bought a Node2i.......HUGE improvement in SQ even with its own DAC....Hooked to the Modi3+ it sounded a tiny bit better but there was a strange interaction between the two. When a song changed and the resolution changed, there was an audible POP....I called Schiit and they were aware and said get a BitFrost!.....Just a few weeks ago I decided to take advantage of Amazons extended Christmas return policy and bought a Gustard X16.....HOLLY MOLLY! What an improvement! I couldn't believe a DAC to influence the SQ this much....Not sure how much better it would get with a multi thousand $$ DAC....Have I reached diminishing returns? (My equipment...Schiit Freya/ VTA ST120 Dynaco tube/ KEF LS50 Meta) 

I recently moved overseas and my gear is coming in about a week or so. I have the Nodi 2i, but I’ve never hooked it up to a separate DAC.  I now have an audio GD NFB-1S DAC & also the Cambridge Audio DacMagic 2.  Not sure which coax cable I have as a friend gave me one.  I’ll see which DAC I like better and sell the other.  I  also just got an Audiolab 6000CDT for my cd collection.