Bluesound Node (2021) PS upgrade to Teddy Pardo; is it worth it?

Hi guys, 

I was toying with upgrading my Bluesound Node (2021) power supply with the Teddy Pardo upgrade kit; around £400 with shipping to UK.

I was wondering if anyone here has done this, and was there a significant improvement to SQ?

I don't use the DAC in my Node, I use a Denafrips Ares II; with this in mind, would the TP upgrade be worth the money, or would I be better off putting the money aside and going for an upgrade to the Node further down the line i.e. a dedicated, stand alone streamer?

Thanks very much
128x128painter24

Showing 13 responses by painter24

@auxinput thanks for that, that's really useful. I thought there would definitely be a SQ improvement, but not at the level you've described. Do you think I would see much improvement using only the coax digital out on the Node, as opposed to using the DAC in the Node?

Thanks very much 

Thanks again. 

I don't use the Node DAC at all, love the Denafrips. I run them with the the Naim Nait 5si, and Quad S2 speakers.

I love my system in essence, I just feel the Node is the weak element. A/B testing from the Node DAC and Denafrips, the Denafrips is hands down better, and I feel the Node is holding it back. I feel it has more to give; the Teddy Pardo may just give the Node that extra push from what you have described.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated 

At the moment I have the QED Reference Digital Audio 40, and a Wireworld Silver Starlight 7.

The QED was a starting point when I built my system, the Wireworld I bought pre-owned for a good price.

Currently using the Wireworld, it is more revealing than the QED

Just as an aside, I had a nice improvement, not night and day, but significant, by inserting a short length of optical cable between two TP Link Media Converters at the end of my run of Cat6a from my router, then a short run of Supra Cat8 with Telegarten (spelling?) connectors at each end, into the Node.

My router sits in the adjoining room, with the TV, TV service box, Sonos gear, smart lighting bridge, and few other bits and pieces. As you can imagine, not the quietest of electronic environments 🤔. This relatively inexpensive tweak, dropped the noise floor further, and "cleaned" up the overall signal.

I got this suggestion from this forum, I can't remember the contributor, but definitely worth doing considering the low cost 

Thanks for all the contributions to my OP. I think I'm going to take plunge on the TP PSU for my Node (2021). It seems to be a consensus that you would have to spend a lot more on a new streamer to see a significant SQ jump from an un-modded Node. 

Additionally, considering how well thought of TP PSUs are over on the Naim forums, I don't think there is any doubt over the quality of TP products; Naim users are pretty fanatical (in a positive way) and discerning about what non-Naim gear they insert in to their systems. 

Thanks for all your thoughts, much appreciated 👍

@totem395 thanks for the info; do you have a link to Alvin's original post. I wonder if that's true for the Node (2021) which is what I have, not the 2i.

I'm sure I've seen the Ares II display 192khz on respective tracks/albums on Qobuz. 

Could be mistaken though

Thanks

Just had to check; thanks @totem395 , you've disturbed my evening meal 😁.

Yep, just started a 192khz on Qobuz; the Ares is displaying 48khz X4. 

Pheeeewwww 😊 one less thing to think about 🤔

@jetter ​​​​​​

Hi,

I'm in the UK, so bought directly from Poland.

As for installation, it is very easy, and full instructions and pictures are included. The most difficult part was putting the damn Node back together 🙄😊. But that may be down to my big fat clumsy fingers 😜.

As for SQ improvements, there was a drop to the noise floor, music sounded more fluid and relaxed, not as "digital" if that makes sense. I do use an external DAC, but the benefits enjoyed are still present when sending the signal out to a DAC. I'm no expert, but I guess removing the in-built SMPS board is the main, beneficial factor.

Hi, 

Just an update. I never did buy the Teddy Pardo upgrade and LPS; I found it hard to pull the trigger due to the upgrade and LPS costing nearly as much as the Node. 

In the end I went with the PD Creative option with the Low Noise PS. 

It was a significant improvement, but of course I cannot provide a comparison of TP and PD Creative. 

@jetter I made the upgrade back in March, I think it was. Definitely a good few months ago at any rate, so I feel it is fully settled in now.

The cost plus import costs/VAT for the board and PSU was a little over £200 - definitely worth the outlay for me. It makes the Node a different proposition compared to an un-modded unit.

There was/is definitely more clarity, and greater opening up of tracks. To my mind, the upgrade takes the Node to what it should be. I think Bluesound had a budget/price level to stick to and the in-built SMPS is the result.