Bit the Bullet ... Don Sachs Model 2 Preamp

So, today I ordered a Don Sachs Model Two Preamp with upgraded caps to drive my 31K ohm SS power amp. This will replace my beloved BAT VK-3i, which I intend to keep ... of course, that could change if the DS Model Two blows me away sonically. I expect to have it in a few weeks. Did a fair amount of reaearch on the DS, and it had great reviews. It's tough to really know unless you hear it in your system. OK ... tell me if I did good on this one. 
rlb61

Showing 2 responses by cal3713

In case anyone out there is looking for one of these on the used market, I just put my heavily upgraded unit up. I've loved it for a year and a half, but recently commissioned a two-chassis all out assault built around the EML-20AM.  It retails for almost twice the cost.  

I think my DS2 is likely the best sounding one in existence.  Pure silver signal wiring, duelund CAST capacitors, silver WBTs, copper shielding, etc.  A lovely pre that took my system to new heights. 

For people who already own the pre, I do strongly recommend the capacitor upgrade if possible.  The pre gained a great deal of refinement and 3-dimensionality when I added the Duelunds.  I also really liked Mundorf SGO Supremes in that spot.  Amazing imaging, but a very slight reduction in bass for me.  I found the stock Miflex's to be a bit 2 dimensional.