Big Mcintosh MC1000 pwr amp s?

comment's from user's on these big mono bloc's.
are the new MC1201's better?
fonsy66

Showing 13 responses by marcelo_cinicola

Thanks everyone for the answers.

Keep wondering one thing though. Would a pair of 501's be a better choice than a pair of MC1000's? No match for the 1201's, that much I can make out of the written opinions, but what would you choose? A pair of the newer 501s or a pair of the older 1000's?

brgds, marcelo
Are there any owners here of MC1000s? I'm about to buy a pair of these or (if I can find it) a pair of 1201s. Parting with a pair of Pass X600's.
My question is> what (other than power) differences could anyone expect? Are there any specific issues with these amps? I'll be using it with a pair of JMLab Utopias (as stereophile's reviewer did with the 1201s) and I'm hoping to get at least the same clean power as with the Passes.
Would it be a dissapointment or would it be a step on the right direction? I can't blame the Passes for anything, just that I've heard the 501's and liked it very much combined with a pair of N802 B&W.
Any feedback will be appreciated.
Thanks !

Marcelo
Thank you Phil.
Do I read you correctly if I sort of conclude from your words that it'd be better to get a pair of 501s than a pair of mc1000's?

Or would you just reduce the choice to the 1201's against the 1000's in wich case the 1201 wins hands down, yet the 501's wouldn't be a contest for the 1000's?

Sorry if I'm being dense.

Brgds,
Marcelo
Thanks everyone for the input and well reasoned arguments.

See, the thing I noticed when I bought the Passes was a transparency that I didn't seem to recall from the Krell 700cx I had. With the Krell I think to recall a more relaxed sound, the Passes are simply atomic.
This had me for a while going "wow", but sometimes, on some recordings (specially remastered issues from Verve), it can be too much of the "goodie". Not that I'm saying the Passes are overanalytical, but perhaps the combination Pass/Utopias is such that a little less here and there wouldn't hurt in the long run.

Perhaps overall any McIntosh SS amp will get me back to a more relaxed auditioning, and without having heard any of the big blocks, I'd also agree that in theory the 1000s could be more relaxed.

My desicion is made, I'll get me a pair of McIntosh monoblocks, and while my heart says "go for the 1201s" my instinct says "the 1000s are the best choice for your boxes"...I'll keep listening any and all advice.
Thanks again
Best regards,
Marcelo
Thanks Arthur. I appreciate your comments, it makes me even more comfortable to learn that your combination Mc/JMlab is apparently what I imagine (that's all what I can do, this will be a blind choice) it'll be on my own system.
Brgds, Marcelo
I have made up my mind...

My heart (and my lovely wife) had me deciding to buy a pair of MC1201's.
I have located a few ex-dem here in Europe (very rare on the 2nd hand market, disgustingly expensive brand new, goes for 30k$/pair!), so hopefully one of those will grace my system soon.
Thanks to everyone for the input,
Brgds, Marcelo
4/4 update> I closed a deal on a set of 1201 this morning, money is already wired, and the seller (a shop in the EU) tells me that in abt. 3 days I'll have my puppies. Thought of sharing this since y'all been so involved helping me decide with all of your valuable opinions.
thanks guys! will update again once I have the amps home.
Brgds, Marcelo
Thanks Phil,

just learned that due to transport logistics, the amps won't be delivered until tuesday next week...buahhhhh.....(crying). I so much hoped for a weekend with the Macs...oh well, it makes it all more exciting...
brgs, marcelo
Well, tomorrow's the big day ! The 1201s are ready for delivery to my door early a.m...cannot wait.

Have already moved aside the Passes (gosh, those are heavy monsters too!)and made room for the Macs. Wish my back well...

brgds, Marcelo
Hi all :-)))) (big grin!). What to say? I haven't stopped listening since I brought the monsters upstairs. These amps are really gorgeous! I can now understand why everyone pointed at the 1201's. Even my close friend that owns a pair of 501's was as excited as I was. He was also one of the many whom pushed me toward these. He was convinced that I'd like it. And I do!
There is nothing I can point out that I don't like, besides one little thing> the WBT connectors on the back are too close to each other to make it easy to tighten the terminals. Luckily, it's once in a long while I play with cables. Same for the AC connector, funny place to have it, and barely space for a large AC plug. Besides these minor design (probably intended?) "flaws", what matters is the sound, and here I can't find a single glitch.

Pops, what are you using along yours?

Btw, some ppl says the Macs are slow?. Well, I'd like to say the Passes are about the fastest amps I ever had, but man, these are not slow, these are as fast as an amp should be! And by fast/slow I mean to say dynamic. These are a very fine pair of power amps, amongst the best, no doubt.

Brgds, Marcelo
Hi Pops, great set up you have there! Wich TT are you thinking of? I'm in love with the Basis 2500 or the Nott Dais with a TriPlanar arm...

I honestly don't expect (neither I think it would) changes with burn-in. Besides, if it takes whatever more than a few hours, it is hard to keep memories of the initial sound, so knowing when it is burnt in IMHO is a wild guess. But, I might be proven wrong by other opinions and experiences.

These sounded beautifully right out the box, none of the usual minuses associated with an unburnt pair of whatever electronics were detected. At least not by me.
brgsd, marcelo
Hi Jerry...college in the 70's ah? mmhhh....about 50?(me here...dangerously close to 47...man I'm getting old...and still playing with toys... ;-)

higher than Basis? VPI TNT HRX perhaps? Or would you think of a SME 20 or 30? (can't make a real scale, Simon Yorke is also up there?)

Phono preamp> I have an Aesthetix Rhea (110v version) bought last year brand new in the US. It works perfect for the low gained carts I like to use.

And it is a thrill with the remote, makes it soooo easy to play with loads and commute TTs!

My second option if I only had one TT was the EAR 324. My third the Ayre 5.
Then an AQVox (german). See, I only look for balanced configurations. The AQVox has also balanced inputs. I'm tempted to buy one (700 eur) to try it out. It is similar in configuration to the NEC balanced, but cheaper and has full 19" chassis.
Depends on the cart you'll choose, but if you are aiming as high or even higher as the Basis 1400, I'd guess you'd choose also a highend cart.
Depending on the kind of sound you like and want to get, a Benz LP would be a great choice imho. This if you like better a lush sound. If you like fast and furious, the Colibri might be perhaps the best. Many other options out there, but I haven't heard any (Zyx, Lyra, Koetsu, etc).

Rgds
Marcelo
Class '58 then? me '59...I know how it feels...

The amps are doing wonderfully. Thanks.

All the best with your search, I myself went back to vinyl only a few years ago, was also caught by the "perfect sound forever" thing for too long.
Now I do both, it's like having a bike and a car.
Practical as a car the CDs are, but nothing beats the fun of a bike on a twisted road or the joy of spinning a vinyl. Sure, please let me know wich progresses you make.
brgds, Marcelo