Best way to spend $1000 on used bookshelf speakers?

There is so much experience and wisdom in this forum, so I thought I would ask for some advice. Based on what you know now, if you had a budget of $1,000 (give or take) and were looking for the best bookshelf speakers you could afford, what would you be looking for?
ohmy
When shopping for used speakers I prefer speakers that have sealed enclosures -- because you never know what insects or rodents have crawled into the enclosure.   Also, typically sealed enclosure speakers can be set closer to the wall.    In my opinion a speaker that can be set closer to the wall will be a more acceptable with the wife.       A speaker with a higher sensitivity can be paired with smaller and less expensive amplifiers.    Purhaps Klipsch would be a good place to start looking.    Also, smaller and cooler class D amplifiers is less obtrusive in a living room than bigger and hotter class AB amplifiers.   
I have Focal Arias powered by an Audio Research VSI60 tube amp and in my opinion the sound is pretty nice.
 LSA-10 Signatures seem to be mediocre speakers, with the price constantly dropping, and very little demand for them. I have done a lot of research and legwork and I found nothing supporting the hype.

But of course it's a matter of taste and equipment too.