Best way to spend $1000 on used bookshelf speakers?

There is so much experience and wisdom in this forum, so I thought I would ask for some advice. Based on what you know now, if you had a budget of $1,000 (give or take) and were looking for the best bookshelf speakers you could afford, what would you be looking for?
ohmy
Vandersteen VLR's are my pick.
Made to be near corners, like true bookshelf speakers.
CT or non-CT they can really be made to rock. Just add a Belles Aria Integrated, some good Audioquest cables and you're set.
I use mine like monitors in my office and am very happy.
Bob
When shopping for used speakers I prefer speakers that have sealed enclosures -- because you never know what insects or rodents have crawled into the enclosure.   Also, typically sealed enclosure speakers can be set closer to the wall.    In my opinion a speaker that can be set closer to the wall will be a more acceptable with the wife.       A speaker with a higher sensitivity can be paired with smaller and less expensive amplifiers.    Purhaps Klipsch would be a good place to start looking.    Also, smaller and cooler class D amplifiers is less obtrusive in a living room than bigger and hotter class AB amplifiers.   
I have Focal Arias powered by an Audio Research VSI60 tube amp and in my opinion the sound is pretty nice.