Best used Amp under $2000 for CD-50

BEST USED AMP UNDER $2000 TO COMPLIMENT RESOLUTION AUDIO CD-50'S GREAT RESOLUTION AND OVERALL TRANSPARENCY GOING DIRECT TO VERITAS 1.8s (90 DB,6 OHMS),THANKS,al
alfred

Showing 6 responses by carl_eber

I consider myself the stongest proponent of the Resolution Audio CD50 in this forum. I enjoy the Krell KAV-250a very much with mine, and think it would contend with, or BEAT, any other amp...especially under $4000. CONGRATULATIONS ON GETTING THE BEST BANG-FOR-THE-BUCK CD PLAYER THAT HAS EVER BEEN, AND WILL EVER BE, MADE!
Muser, have you compared any of those Muse amps directly with the Krell KAV-250a in the same system context? I mean, D'Agostino believes 2 channel is dead, and I don't agree with him about that either (hardly anybody in the world does). He still knows how to design and build an amp, though. Anyway, if you're in the southeast, you should bring your Muse by my place for a shootout. This one has beaten monoblocks.
With all due respect to you, Alvin or Alfred, I doubt you've even tried the Krell 250a, so how could you possibly know for sure? In any case, I would say your Energy speakers are the weak link, and would likely make all but laid back amps analytical, IMHO. Try Maggies, Dynaudio, Meadowlark Shearwaters, Nova Applause, etc. Try cabling that would enhance warmth also.
That would be more of a compliment than an insult, wouldn't it? I'm not sure, don't feel like digging for the dusty box and owner's manual, so I'll try going to the RA site now...Oh well, guess you've already done that, since it's specs aren't there. All I know is, if you can use it balanced, the output is enough to make my Krell KAV-250a clip easily, with the loudest CD's. It can almost do it unbalanced, but not quite. If you could find out what the Krell's input voltage sensitivity is, you could compare that with your own amp's input voltage (they usually rate them with the "driving voltage required for full output", or something like that). In fact, I'll just look it up in the Audio buyer's guide, that'd be quickest.....damn, it's blank. OK, well, I think the Krell's is around 2 volts...it's called "high level sensitivity".
I think it's because the dark side feels I know too much about their plans, and we all know what happens to people who know too much...