Best Two-Way Monitor Speakers under $700 New/Used

So, here goes. I have a good friend who needs audiophile recommendations (you guys) for two-way speaker replacement with a budget not to exceed $700 new (or used) for the pair of speakers. He will place the monitor speakers on stands - color is important. Expresso finish or black color is preferred because it matches his room furniture. With that in mind, let me know what you think. He's running a NAD integrated solid state amp (but I'm anxiously trying to convince him to purchase a tube integrated or separates). He has a Music Hall turntable and Morrow Audio interconnects and speaker cabling. I recommended Totem Mites, Dynaudio Excite 12 (used) and Paradigm. Any other ideas that come to mind? Thanks in advance for your help.
wescoman

Showing 1 response by rrog

1. Green Mountain Audio Europa
2. Von Schweikert VR-1
3. Spica TC-50
4. Vandersteen VLR-1

Finding the desired color may be a challenge.

Every one of these speakers has its own set of virtues. It will be up to your friend to decide on priorities. None of the speakers in this list are bright. However, it seems Audiophile speakers today are bright sounding. It's the same old thing where the bright speaker during an audition wins out over the more natural sound. The majority of speakers are still designed for marketing, so advise your friend to be careful when listening.