Best Tube Amp For Sonus Faber? Or Pass XA-100.5? $6-7,500 Budget, Purchasing Used.

As the title says, I have a pair of Sonus Faber Olympica III's that I am more than pleased with, for which I am trying to determine the best available amplifier, preferably tube. Of course, there are always budget limitations and my budget for this amp would be $6-7,500, and I would be buying used to maximize purchasing power.

Based on a lot of research, and quite a few auditions at brick and mortar stores, various home systems, Axpona, etc. I'm honestly not sure if there are any truly exceptional tube amplifiers available within that budget that meet my needs. These speakers need 100wpc tubed, or 200 wpc solid state, into 4 ohms to really open up and perform. 

If, in the end, there are no really great tubed options, I've always heard that the Pass Labs XA-100.5's were probably the optimal choice in solid state for former tube lovers. I would also appreciate any thoughts on that option from owners. 
nightfall

Showing 9 responses by jmcgrogan2

There is a VAC Phi 300.1 for sale on Audiogon right now for $8,150. You could probably get him down to $7,500 or better. 
That's 150 wpc of tube bliss.

I have to admit though, as someone who has moved on from a 85 wpc tube amp to a pair of Pass Labs XA-100.5 mono-blocks, I am quit happy with the change,
I tend to agree with George, I'm not sure that a tube amp would work well with the Sonus Faber Olympica III's, they are not an easy load.

Any VAC amp that can put out 100 wpc and use KT-150 tubes though MAY be able to do it.

I was actually using a VAC 160iSE integrated amp before the XA-100.5 mono-blocks, and my speakers have similar specs (90 dB, 5 ohm versus your 90 dB, 4 ohm).

Switching to the XA-100.5 amps, the sound-stage opened up immensely. Not really surprising going from a tube stereo amp to SS mono-block amps.
Mating the Pass amps with an ARC Ref 5 preamp, the resolution of the highs and lows also became more extended and defined.

The only place I would give the edge to the VAC was in the midrange.
Though the Pass are quite warm and musical, the VAC had that touch of *magic* in the midrange, that fuzz on the peach quality, that only a tube amp can do.

The XA-100.5's do get quite warm after a couple of hours, but I wouldn't say they turned the listening room into a sauna. They aren't close to the hottest amp I've ever owned (BAT VK-75SE). However, they are quite a  bit warmer than the Jeff Rowland Model 6 mono's.

Another amp to consider, since you want tubes, but don't really have tube friendly speakers, is an Aesthetix Atlas.
A hybrid amp with 400 wpc into your 4 ohm load, but with a pair of 6SN7 tubes in the driver stage.
Just a thought.
Mark at Reno is a great guy to work with. I bought my XA-100.5's from him.

I have noticed that Reno's used inventory has been "drying up" though.
I've been looking because I have thoughts of moving up to a XA-60.8/100.8.
Haven't seen much used stock in there though, mostly just demo's which are still quite pricey.

Keep your eye on HifiShark too!
@nightfall , I see a pair of Pass Labs XA-160.5’s just listed for $7,495.
Maybe more weight and heat than you wanted, but that’s a pretty good price, IMHO.
I have no relation with the seller.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-pass-labs-xa-160-5-monoblock-pair-2017-06-12-amplifier...
Yes, the 100.5 work very effectively in single ended mode.

I am surprised to hear that the 160.5’s would operate differently, as the specs are identical (aside from the power), and I assume the circuitry is identical as well.

I see the seller has marked that ad as "Sold", and relisted while raising his asking price $1,000.
He has also changed the ad to reflect that they are only available for one day........

Interesting sales strategy.
Let's see how that works out for him in a buyer's market.
Are you a member on any audio forum where I could PM you

You can PM members on Audiogon.
If the 60.5’s seem likely to power your speakers, I would re-read the Stereophile review of them, where John Atkinson called them the finest amps he has ever auditioned.

There are very, very few reviewers whose opinions I respect, and JA is definitely NOT one of them.
Frankly, I don’t think JA can hear at all. I learned to ignore any comment from him decades ago.

That’s not a swipe at the XA-60.5’s, I’m sure they work fine with the right speakers.
I can create an even higher level about 6 times each year. We are at a level now that the energy of instruments can be felt separately. And even the energy of instruments can stand in a different perspective of depth.

@nightfall , sorry JC, once bo stumbles onto your thread, it is destroyed with mind-numbing audio mumble jumble.
It is akin to termites stumbling onto your home.

Did you get your VAC amp yet?
Which model did you buy?
What do you think?