Best Tannoy speakers with $4000 Budget

All,

I have been searching for speakers for about a year. Speakers I like so far:

Devore Nines
Coincident
Tannoy Kennsington SE

With my budget I will most likely have go the used route. My Amp is a Pathos Twin Towers. Afer hearing the Tannoy, I was blown away. Have been trying to learn about older Tannoys. What would be the best old or new Tannoy used or new at $4000?
Thanks!
jetrexpro

Showing 1 response by islandmandan

Hi,

The way I got back into Tannoys was to purchaase a used pair of HPD 315 drivers from Ebay UK. I had custom 150 liter cabinets @200lbs. (each) made for them, and did the assembly and internal wiring myself. I have since upgraded the crossovers with custom outboard units with much better parts than the originals, and lastly, I have replaced the woofer cones with new "hard edge" surrounds. These are perhaps the finest sounding speakers I have heard, certainly the best I have owned, which includes $9000 pair Dynaudios. My investment is around $4000 for the pair. I invested much time, as well, in building the crossovers, wiring the internals, etc; but it was well worth the effort. I would do it all over again. These will spend the rest of my life with me, with no regrets.

An option to consider, if you are up to it.

Regards,
Dan