best speakers under $1000 for classic rock?

I am looking for opinions on the best speakers under $1000 for classic rock (Grateful Dead, Doors, etc.) and home theater. I have a 10" Velodyne (CT) sub that will be used and 90 watt Denon AVR. I currently have Polk RT55i which I am impressed with but my ears are not very experienced in stereo/HT equipment. Any thoughts.....
128x128fishcall

Showing 1 response by aball

I second the Paradigm Reference series speakers. It is nearly impossible to beat economies of scale in this price range and my ears can attest first hand to the fact that Paradigm pulls it off supremely well. Simply great speakers at a great price. I recommended the 80.2s to a friend of mine and he thanks me daily for it. I love my 100.2s to death but finding them in you price range - even used - may be difficult. At least listen to a broken-in (few are at the dealers) pair of 60s or 80s with good electronics before you buy. Their only (slight) downfall is the bass oomph but you have that covered already. Add a couple 20s for surround and you will be in nirvana. Paradigms tend to be easier to find than many other brands too. Good luck! Arthur