Best Rock Album in 2012

Ok folks, let's get another one started. Best yearly thread for us rock fans.

Not really rock, but like Gotye "Making Mirrors" so far.

Cheers,

KeithR
keithr

Showing 4 responses by martykl

I just picked up Hiss Golden Messenger's Poor Moon on the above recommendations and agree that it's right at the top of my list for this year's favorites.

On a side note, I heard a few tracks on preview from the soon to be (or possibly just) released Alejandro Escovedo CD and it sounds promising. It's on order (along with the new db's record) and I'll follow up here if either deserves mention.

Marty
Since Richard went for one song, I'll go for 70...

I just picked up World Party's new 5 CD set "Arkeology".

At a glance, this looks like a straight up money grab..5 CDs of previously unreleased material from the vault and...yikes..a calendar. However, there are only 5 or 7 tracks that IMHO should have definitely stayed buried, while the balance varies between good and very good. There's not a ton of inspired material here, but for those who dig Karl Wallinger's take on recycling the best of the '60's (specifically The Beatles, The Stones, and Dylan) this is a welcome trove of unfamiliar music. Some really good live tracks and covers, too.

Maybe not the best of the year, and definitely not for everyone, but a happy surprise for those who miss this band.

Marty
New releases from Brendan Benson (What Kind of World) and Freedy Johnston (Rain On The City) are both very good. I'm not sure that either one ranks with the respective best from these artists, but both are still a cut above most rock that I hear these days.

Also second the Jack White (Blunderbuss) recommendation.

Marty
Since this is a "best rock" thread, in the interest of full disclosure, I should point out that the Freedy Johnston CD only contains a handful of rock songs. The balance is more in the plaintive, singer-songwriter FJ ballad style.

Marty