Best Home Office HiFi Systems Under $10,000 and $20,000.00

I realize that most audiophiles consider the tipping point of excellence at a system above $15,000. The reality is that many individuals spend less to accomplish their goals. So over the last year or so, I have compiled an excellent "Home Office" system at a shade under $20,000 that sounds like a Million (in my opinion). Here is my small office system at/near the 20,000 price point:

McIntosh MA 252 Hybrid tube Integrated Amplifier:               $5,500.00

REGA P8 w/Ania Pro cartridge                                               $4,995.00

Ortofon ST-7 Step-Up MC Phone Stage.                                $   800.00

Bowers & Wilkins 705 Signature Speakers                             $4,000.00

Marantz Network/CD player ND8006                                      $1,500.00

NAD C 427 AM/FM Tuner                                                       $   549.00

REL t/5x subwoofer                                                                 $.  699.00

TOTAL:    $18,043.00

I think pound for pound this system is ridiculous and in some ways surpasses my main media room system that costs over twice the price. These small 705 signatures, balanced by the REL true subwoofer sound is a joy to listen to. The Marantz 8006 has digital radio, bluetooth, and cd built in, and at $1,500.00 provides the totally analogue Mcintosh MA252 with a multi-digital option. The REGA pentultimate P8 turntable is unmatched at its price point. I did add a Zazen 1 platform to further shield it from noise and vibration and added a $350.00 acrylic dustcover but those items still keep the total price under $20,000.00. I added a nice 2mm PatheWings cork/felt mat to lower the bass line ($50.00) and also bought a custom dust cover for the MA252 to keep the exposed heat sinks and tubes/valves clear of dust and debris ($400.00). The total is pushing $20,00 with all the extras but no over the line.

My $10,000 system is also a wonderful kit, though somewhat less expensive yet still worthy of consideration:

Technics SU-G700 Integrated Amplifier MK2                         $2,699.00

Cambridge Audio Alva TT Turntable w/HO MC Cartridge.     $1,199.00

KEF LS 50 META Speakers                                                    $1,699.00

Music Hall CD 15.3 DAC/CD player                                        $  650.00

Mcintosh MB20 BT transmitter/receiver                                   $ 550.00

NAD AM/FM C427                                                                   $  549.00

REL T/ZERO Subwoofer                                                          $  599.00

TOTAL:       $7,945.00

This system is an absolute gem. The Technics SU-G700 is widely acclaimed. It's visual presence with the retro VU Meters is awesome and the quality of its components is unmatched at this price point. With 140 watts of amp power at 4 ohms, it has more than enough gravitas to extract the full spectrum of sound from the LS 50 Metas, which are also a widely acclaimed reference speaker at this price point. 

The Cambridge Audio ALVA TT with Bluetooth APTX quality is an excellent value in its price point to the extent it comes fitted with a well-reviewed High-Output moving Coil cartridge which costs $500.00 in its own right. The table is a direct drive unit that is reminiscent of the Technics 1200 and the tonearm is a REGA RB220 that is pre-mounted with the ALVA MC HO cartridge.

The McIntosh BT Receiver/Transmitter is the class unit in this genre. It is accurate quiet and can do double duty if one has wireless headphones to pair with the Technics AA-class headphone jack. The Music Hall CD DAC unit provides 3 additional digital outputs in addition to the excellent CD player and is a bargain at $650.00. 

Again, I didn't go for pure value, I went with the best in price to outfit a nice little kit in the under $10,000 price range.

I'D LIKE TO HEAR FROM OTHER FORUM MEMBERS AS TO WHAT THEY THINK OF MY SELECTIONS. CHEERS.

mervo

Showing 1 response by chayro

The only thing that matters is that you are happy with your choices.  That’s more than I can say for many people around here.