Best for under $5,000.00

If you were going to buy an amp, preamp and hook them to B&W 805(non-diamond) speakers what would you buy new? I am intrigued by the new low cost tube amp stuff(I think made by Cary)that is being promoted in the Audiogon adds and wonder if I would achieve "audiophile" level using some well choosen lower cost stuff. I play CDs and ITune sources. I know the sound is no better than the source but just currous what you all would buy new (I looked at all the used stuff) if you were buying. Thanks.
flybyjr

Showing 2 responses by brownsfan

Flybyjr,
I haven't heard the low priced Cary stuff you are talking about. I think you can be sure that Cary is not going to put low priced stuff out there that is going to compete with their high priced stuff. I think it is an effort to draw more people into 2 channel, and also a response to the reality of the current economy. I think the best bang for the buck is always buying used, but now more than ever. I've seen some nice stuff go dirt cheap recently. Its a buyers market. The only way you buy new stuff now is if it is a unique piece that almost never comes up used, or if you have a dealer who will cut you a break on a demo.
There are ways to negotiate on prices without low balling.
Unsound, I wondered about that too. The 805's are 4 Ohm speakers and 87 dB efficient. That could also be the basis for the butler suggested above.

There would be a large number of options using a tube pre paired with a solid state power that might work well with the 805's.