Best Examples Of Cymbal Decays On A Recording

Pleas provide an example of any recording with an outstanding cymbal decay.

...or, any recording that gives an excellent example that showcases a decay of a particular sound...whether a vocal or anything else.

Thank you.

128x128mitch4t

@bdp24 -                       

+1

Gotta wonder: how many can tell the difference (in sound) between, say Turkish and chinese Zildjians?

Between a Paiste and Zildjian, or whether it's got rivets?

Was that a Hi-Hat center strike, or: Snare rim shot?

Many systems won't resolve and many more folks can't tell (via a lack of familiarity) the differences.

I've had to point out to a couple experienced Drummers (albeit: over decades) that their own drum heads/skins had lost their resonance/pitch.

Then again: as long as the listener is pleased with their musical reproduction, that's ALL that matters.

Happy listening!

Joe Morello's Zildjians, on my 60's, Columbia pressing of Time Out (Take Five) and Mick Fleetwood my first (1977) Nautilus pressing of Rumours (Dreams).

A good LP for telling if a system is resolving (ie: between Paiste and Zildjian, among other things): the Sheffield Drum record.

Then again, if one has been/is able to record their own tracks*: they are blest.                                                  *That's the best!

Jim Brock is well known in recording circles for his percussion work, and his 1985 album, Pasajes may offer some of what you want. I know there is one brief cut late on side one that is just cymbals. I was the engineer and mixer, and I can say that we used the best audio practices we knew then to create the sonics. The drum overheads and the only mics for the cymbal cut were a matched Neumann TLM-170 pair (Blumlein), through MCI 600 console electronics onto 2" analog tape. The eventual mix was to 1/2" analog tape from which the LP was mastered by Bill Kipper at Masterdisk, NYC. Acoustic Sounds, Ltd has a few copies available that were pressed back then,

Ultimate cymbal decay:

Chris Isaac/Forever Blue

Lead in to Baby I did bad thing.

The decay is stretched but and faded down but it git got a lit of overtones 

"Kind of Blue" - Jimmy Cobb's cymbal strike after the bass intro of "So What".