Best DAC+Volume Control under $1000 (used)

Hi,

I just got an Innuos Zen Mk3 server/streamer, which is doing great, but now looking for a DAC WITH good volume control so it can feed my Amplifier (Classe CA-2100).

What's the best option out there... I KNOW, a separate pre-amp would be best, BUT I don't have the budget, or room... so what's a good DAC with volume control that I can get in the used market under $1000?

The ones that come to mind are Mytek Brooklyn, RME  ADI2DACFS, and DAC Magic.  I was dead set on Denafrips, BUT it doesn't have remote or volume control! 

PS. I also have a Denon Receiver that's being used for my HT, alternatively, I could use that as my pre-amp, but wanted to keep it separate as I think it probably would sound better if not fed through a 9-channel receiver... or am I wrong?
alexb76

Showing 1 response by sfar

I'm using a Pro-Ject Pre Box S-2 Digital DAC in my office system and am very happy with it. It's under your budget, which might disqualify it, but it is a Stereophile recommended product, winner of an EISA award and got a great review in the Absolute Sound.
https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/pro-ject-pre-box-s2-digital-dacpreamplifier