Best DAC+Volume Control under $1000 (used)

Hi,

I just got an Innuos Zen Mk3 server/streamer, which is doing great, but now looking for a DAC WITH good volume control so it can feed my Amplifier (Classe CA-2100).

What's the best option out there... I KNOW, a separate pre-amp would be best, BUT I don't have the budget, or room... so what's a good DAC with volume control that I can get in the used market under $1000?

The ones that come to mind are Mytek Brooklyn, RME  ADI2DACFS, and DAC Magic.  I was dead set on Denafrips, BUT it doesn't have remote or volume control! 

PS. I also have a Denon Receiver that's being used for my HT, alternatively, I could use that as my pre-amp, but wanted to keep it separate as I think it probably would sound better if not fed through a 9-channel receiver... or am I wrong?
alexb76
Since you’re only using a digital source you might consider an inexpensive passive or if you want a remote control and a little tube sparkle, something like a Schiit Saga+. This opens up your DAC choices to those without volume control. 
I'm using a Pro-Ject Pre Box S-2 Digital DAC in my office system and am very happy with it. It's under your budget, which might disqualify it, but it is a Stereophile recommended product, winner of an EISA award and got a great review in the Absolute Sound.
https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/pro-ject-pre-box-s2-digital-dacpreamplifier

The Mytek and RME are good choices if you generally like a more detailed, sorta analytical, solid state type sound.

Personally, I've never heard a digital volume control that would satisfy me, even those on five-figure gear. My preference is more analog/tube/fleshed out so I agree with @cat_doorman. Try something like Rothwell attenuators or another low cost passive option and go with an R2R dac, Denafrips, Soekris or whatever else floats your boat.

It's a bit of a risk avoiding an active preamp; many find the additional gain of an active pre provides sonic benefits that relying only on the math would leave you scratching your head. Cheers,

Spencer
Not wrong.
No recommendations as I have no experience in that configuration OR price range.
this Chase RLC-1 Remote Line Controller will give you remote volume for 4 inputs

thus you can use a DAC without volume control, lots more choices within your budget.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265367179857?hash=item3dc91dd251:g:lPIAAOSwzNRhbItR

It needs the remote to operate, this one's sealed remote means it was never used.

I have tried several times in 3 systems over the years: my friends and I cannot hear any difference with or without using it. 120db s/n.

With a system that produces good/great imaging, you discover errant tracks that benefit a lot from a minor balance tweak, the unit has remote balance.

Thanks guys... what about using a straight DAC without volume control, and just connecting it to my Receiver CD-input, then pre-out to my Amp?

If that route, which of these do you recommend?

- Denafrips Ares
- Chord Cutest

PS. My system is:
- Zen MK3 streamer/server
- Classe CA-2100 solid state amp
- B&W 805S speakers
- Denon X4700H receiver (could be pre-amp, or skipped)
My vote is for the RME ADI-2 Fs.

Chord Qutest if using the receiver as the preamp since you only have single-ended inputs.
I've only heard the Qutest and it's a nice DAC. I've got a Benchmark DAC3 which is pretty close to the RME. I've used it direct to the AHB2 as well as through the HPA4. Sounds great.

IMO, I'd opt for transparency at the source and fiddle around with tone using preamp / amp.
what about using a straight DAC without volume control, and just connecting it to my Receiver CD-input, then pre-out to my Amp?
Oh good God NO!  Running the Zen and a decent DAC through an AVR’s preamp section is heresy and will destroy their goodness.  Get the best DAC with volume control you can now and add a stereo preamp down the road if needed/desired.  The Soekris 2541 or Gustard X26 are both great options if you can stretch a little bit. 
If you're considering Denafrips vs. Chord, I believe Qutest price is closer to the Pontus II and about double the Ares price. The Ares is the only one of the three you're likely to find under $1K. Cheers,

Spencer
Ideally, you would use a hi-bit (such as a 32 bit) DAC with built in digital volume control, with an output voltage that is similar to the input voltage of your power amps sensitivity for full output. The digital volume controls on these newer high bit DACs are much better than the digital volume controls on the older lower bit DACs that often led to bit stripping which compromised sound quality. The standard voltage output for CD's is 2 Volts, for HDCDs 2.2 Volts, single ended via RCA's. While true balanced transfer has it's advantages, it also typically doubles the output voltage and finding an amp with 4 to 4.4 Volt sensitivity for full power output into it's balanced inputs could be quite challenging. Single ended RCA amps with a 2 to 2.2 Volt input sensitivity for full output is a much more likely find. Having such an arrangement will allow for the amp to output all the power you paid for, while minimizing the volume attenuation and the potential for bit stripping that can otherwise occur with such attenuation. As a plus it will give you greater range of the volume control and make volume attenuation less delicate and fussy.
 Your Classe' amp has an input sensitivity of 1 Volt for full output. While a high bit DAC will ordinarily have lots of extra bits to spend on attenuation without bit stripping into many amps; that 1 Volt input is pushing things a bit. It might work for you, but I offer no guarantees. 
 While not as ideal, using a passive volume control such as a LightSpeedAttenuator between your source and amp with short, low capacitance interconnects could work quite well in your circumstances.
I just sold a Gustard X26 Pro for $925 and it is an excellent DAC with decent digital volume. I hate DAC volume controls but the Gustard volume control was passable. I used a preamp with the Gustard. A used Benchmark DAC2 or DAC3 would also be a good choice with volume control. I have had both in the past (do not get the cheaper DAC1).

https://soundnews.net/sources/dacs/gustard-x26-pro-dac-review/

I am now using the Topping D90SE DAC ($900) in place of the Gustard X26 Pro ($1500). I was planning on getting the Musetec 005 DAC ($3500) after selling the Gustard, but now that I am listening a lot to the Topping D90SE DAC with the Topping pre90 preamp I am not sure I need another DAC.

I am also going to get rid of my Topping pre90 + Ext90 preamp soon. It is extremely quiet (wire with gain) and if you get the right amp match it is a steal. Unfortunately my amp does not match well with it. The Topping pre90 is ($600). It works great with my Benchmark AHB2 and Parasound A21+ amps but not the CODA #8 amp that it needs to work with.

https://soundnews.net/accessories/topping-pre90-ext90-review-pre-amp-my-power-amp/

So a used Topping pre90 and Topping D90SE combo can be had for under a $1000. If your warmish Classe amp is a match of the pre90 you will be impressed by this sound.

I am DM’ing someone who just bought the Benchmark LA4 preamp ($2500) and he will try it with his Class A Pass Labs amp. I also have the LA4 and it sounds EXACTLY like the pre90. The LA4 however mates well with all the amps I have hooked up to it and is not spartan in features like the Topping pre90.

BTW - the Topping remote controls are limited in distance covered.
Over the decades Ive owned lots pres and dacs, both tube and SS. For about 2 years now I have enjoyed a Audio Alchemy DDP-1 (DAC/PRE) and PS 5 outboard PS. It has most of the I/Os needed and the remote allows me to switch between my Oppo 105 direct for SACD playback, or several inputs that employ the built in dac, which is kind of handy should I want to compare SACD hybrid layers

If you're lucky or patient you might find the pair for ~ $1300, or the DDP-1 alone for ~ $900

hth
used prices presently

ares 2 - 700

chord qutest - 1200-1300

pontus - 1400 for i, 1600 for ii used... on pontus i’s always check the mfg date and physical configuration, most 2020 production and later have all the internal upgrades in the current ii designation