Best CD Trans. under 1,500

I need to replace my aging CD changer. My dealer's got an Audio Research CD-T1 Transport for $1,500. The converter in my Acurus ACT-3 pre-pro will have to do for now. I mostly listen to acoustic jazz (part time HT) on my system comprised of the ACT-3, Adcom GFA-6000 (that's next in line for upgrading), B&W DM-640i mains, Paradigm PS-1200 sub, and Audio Stream & Straightwire cables and IC's. Is the ARC a good buy or is there a better value for something new? Or, should I look elsewhere in the used market? Thanks for any advise!
herbl4

Showing 1 response by jcbtubes

I'd recommend that you consider just a high quality CD player, rather than a transport and the DAC in the ACT-3. A used Cary 303 can be found at about the $1500 range. If you intend to get a much better DAC in the future, then the separate transport may make sense. However, a Electrocompaniet EMC-1 at about $2300 used, will compete with the best separates in the sub-$10K retail range. In reality, it competes quite well against my 20K+ Goldmund separates. Just my .02.