Best Cartridge for $1000-$1350?

Hello... I have an RPM3 turntabe (Sumiko Blue Point No. 2) with a Tube DS preamp (Golden Lion tubes). Im considering upgrading the cartridge. What MC cartridge in the price range of $1000-$1350 works good with this type of turntable/tonearm and preamp? I listen to Classic Rock (40%), Pop (30%), Greek (20%), Jazz/Orchestra (10%). In order of importance: Sonics, Soundstage, Air, Musical, Detail, Frequency Response, I guess the holy grail. Hope you can help. Thanks.
deanshias

Showing 2 responses by invictus005

For the past few years, the best cartridge to me at any price is the Ortofon 2M Black. I've recently went on another cartridge hunt, trying VM760SLC, MP-500, Hana SL, Quintet Black, ART7, and a couple of others. 

Ortofon 2M Black remains the absolute pinnacle. Worth its weight in gold and then some. I've previously compared it to a spiritual experience and it's exactly what it does on each and every listening session.

It is the closest thing to a master tape that there is and I've owned and listened to many.
@fjn04 VM760SLC is a fine cartridge. I still have it like new in box. I may use it sometime in the future. Unless someone here wants to make me an offer.

It’s probably my second favorite MM after 2M Black. It has a lot of detail and drive, but the midrange is slightly recesses. Very typical of Audio Technica sound. I do prefer the VM760SLC to 150MLX and to ML170.

But the holography and sheer brilliance of the 2M Black is out of this world. When listening to the 2M Black, it feels like the mind has gone on this fantastical journey and the real world no longer exists.