Best caps for updating my VTL 225 mono's ?

My VTL's have the original VTL input caps; they sound nice, but they are almost 20yrs old. A friend suggested replacing the input caps as the best way to improve their sound. VTL offers the MIT cap upgrade; my friend suggests Sonicaps Platinum. The job will require 16 X 0.47 mF 400V caps, and the Sonicaps Platinum will be too expensive. I appreciate any suggestions...Dynamicaps, MIT RSX, Sonicaps GEN I/II, Mundorf? I favor a smooth, rich, "organic", sound over a harsh, clinical sound. Also, how about suggestions for sourcing the replacement caps? Thanks so much!
lstnup

Showing 2 responses by rrog

I would go with the VTL upgrade as I have in the past. If there are other upgrades they will most likely do them at the same time.
Changing capacitors to whatever brand is popular at the time is no guarantee you will end up with good sound. Many vintage components have been ruined by changing the caps to the latest greatest. Then there is the case of the reviewer who had his beloved Audio Research SP-15 recapped by GNSC. He was so disappointed in the sound he sold it at a discount just to be rid of it. If you are not familiar with the SP-15, it was one of Audio Research's top preamps and one of the best phone preamps ever.